People just don’t get it...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Same thing with telling people that you like to rear insects! They look at you like you've smacked them across the face. Since England has a pretty bad clothes moth problem and our native species are usually those little plain brown or beige ones, moths get a very bad rep. So when you go through the rounds of "I like writing, music, collecting things, insects, e.c.t." they start acting like you're from another planet.
Yes! I do think that these little fellows are exceedingly adorable, and I'm tired of pretending that they're not. ?
Insects are incredible! Don’t pretend- stay proud :)

I always thought these little guys were adorable:
57236FD7-649C-4591-B291-6E0137697AF9.jpeg

(Had them in our garden last year)

Whenever people say, “Hey, what do you like to do in your spare time?”. I mention playing my drums, shooting, exercising, and.... fishkeeping. “Fishkeeping? Like fish, like fish in a fish tank?”.... “yes...”

They just look at me like I have a disease. I have never met anyone in person that knows a lot about fish or loves fish like I do. They all think I’m so lame cause I “Have little fishes as pets”

I just feel like I’m stupid when I’m around other people, talking about me. :(
don’t worry about what other people think. everyone has different interests and hobbies. that’s great- how boring would it be if everyone shared the same hobby! i’m old enough to remember when pet fish were put in paper cups- like for food take out. well i got on the city bus downtown. had to go 109 blocks out. someone said - your box is leaking. all i cared about was my fish making it home instead of being embarrassed. although now it seems funny.
sorry way to say do what makes you happy!?

I enjoy meeting people who are excited about what they love, and I find it easy to get caught up in such a peson's enthusiasm, especially when they love creaty/natury/buildy/learny/self-impoovy things. (I have a slightly harder time getting enthused about video games, social media, and such, though that wasn't always the case) People who do things are interesting people. Don't let the boring people bring you down.

That has not stopped a lot of 15 year olds...
You have a point there. Most of them don’t have a good parents (like mine) who strictly taught us not to drink alcohol, ever.

My parents occasionally drink wine, but nothing extreme.

I think alcohol is nasty in both senses.

Too. Many. Pages. To reado_O

I just kinda skimmed over the pages, but @PheonixKingZ I know what you mean, that people don’t get it. I have 1 friend who keeps fish, but she doesn’t really have a whole lot of fish keeping experience. She has a 3 gallon bowl with a betta in it, it’s filtered and heated and has live plants, but she thinks it’s 5 gallons. She will not believe me! My younger cousins have a betta in a half gallon bowl, I feel bad for him. It makes me sad to see them so excited about fishkeeping, but so mistaken on the poor betta’s care. One of them has asked if she can move in with me when I move out, so she can fill the house with fish tanks and flowers. Now THAT made me happy. But even though they love their fish, they’re not like PASSIONATE about their fish, like I am. I don’t really care what people think of me, I do have strange hobbies. I keep fish, raise rabbits, and I am pretty good at knitting. I mean what high schooler knits? An older lady (she had to have been 80 something) started talking to me while I sat and knit in the waiting room at my sisters doctors appointment, and she said I was the only young person she’d seen knit in over 50 years. I enjoy it, I even taught my younger cousin (The same one who wants to live with me when I “buy my own house”) how to knit so at least I have her! But my “friends” don’t get it.
I just know that I never fit in with any group besides my friends on TFF, I only have 4 friends in real life, but only 1 is a good friend.
I no longer have any good friends. I had 3 good friends, but my “best” friend, who is a girl from the church I go to, is switching churches, and she told me today “we are still friends, just not close friends like we used to be. I am meeting new people at the new church with more similar Interests and I am just having a hard time keeping up with the friends I used to be close with, like you” I suppose it was because I love things like fish and crafts and outdoorsy things and I have never worn makeup, and she enjoys things like makeup and fashion and getting her nails done and she doesn’t like animals, and I guess her new friends were more “her type”. My other 2 friends, one has soooo many other friends she never really has time to chat, and with COVID my family has been trying to be very careful and not really see a whole lot of people, and then the other friend is more my younger sisters friend, we just text eachother sometimes, and we are close but she Is definitely more my sister’s friend
What are you talking about? I used to get spanked when I was young if I did something bad. ?
Usually we deserve what we got. I stopped getting spanked at age 12. :|
Most kids I know just get grounded. I’ve never been grounded. I just get privileges taken away. (ex. iPad, electronics, TV, etc.)
My parents used to spank me too! I still get spanked though, which is embarrassing. It’s only if I have a foul attitude and say something mean or snarky to my parents or sisters.

I also have never been grounded. I have had my IPad taken away, mostly my mom says I’m not allowed to interact with any of the pets, which she knows is a worse punishment for me. She used to send me to my room for an hour too though which was awful, except now she doesn’t because she knows I’ll just sit and stare at my aquariums and it won’t be a punishment at all

Too. Many. Pages. To reado_O

I just kinda skimmed over the pages, but @PheonixKingZ I know what you mean, that people don’t get it. I have 1 friend who keeps fish, but she doesn’t really have a whole lot of fish keeping experience. She has a 3 gallon bowl with a betta in it, it’s filtered and heated and has live plants, but she thinks it’s 5 gallons. She will not believe me! My younger cousins have a betta in a half gallon bowl, I feel bad for him. It makes me sad to see them so excited about fishkeeping, but so mistaken on the poor betta’s care. One of them has asked if she can move in with me when I move out, so she can fill the house with fish tanks and flowers. Now THAT made me happy. But even though they love their fish, they’re not like PASSIONATE about their fish, like I am. I don’t really care what people think of me, I do have strange hobbies. I keep fish, raise rabbits, and I am pretty good at knitting. I mean what high schooler knits? An older lady (she had to have been 80 something) started talking to me while I sat and knit in the waiting room at my sisters doctors appointment, and she said I was the only young person she’d seen knit in over 50 years. I enjoy it, I even taught my younger cousin (The same one who wants to live with me when I “buy my own house”) how to knit so at least I have her! But my “friends” don’t get it.

I no longer have any good friends. I had 3 good friends, but my “best” friend, who is a girl from the church I go to, is switching churches, and she told me today “we are still friends, just not close friends like we used to be. I am meeting new people at the new church with more similar Interests and I am just having a hard time keeping up with the friends I used to be close with, like you” I suppose it was because I love things like fish and crafts and outdoorsy things and I have never worn makeup, and she enjoys things like makeup and fashion and getting her nails done and she doesn’t like animals, and I guess her new friends were more “her type”. My other 2 friends, one has soooo many other friends she never really has time to chat, and with COVID my family has been trying to be very careful and not really see a whole lot of people, and then the other friend is more my younger sisters friend, we just text eachother sometimes, and we are close but she Is definitely more my sister’s friend

My parents used to spank me too! I still get spanked though, which is embarrassing. It’s only if I have a foul attitude and say something mean or snarky to my parents or sisters.

I also have never been grounded. I have had my IPad taken away, mostly my mom says I’m not allowed to interact with any of the pets, which she knows is a worse punishment for me. She used to send me to my room for an hour too though which was awful, except now she doesn’t because she knows I’ll just sit and stare at my aquariums and it won’t be a punishment at all
YES YES YES, finally someone who really gets it!!

I don’t really care what people think of me, I do have strange hobbies.
Honestly, I’ve just started not caring. People (especially teenagers) judge you by one glance and they give their opinion on wether or not they will like you. If you wear Yeezy’s, have a tan, and look good, they may consider talking to you. But other than that, you’re a goner.

I no longer have any good friends.
Honestly, same. The 3 friends I mentioned before kind of left me in the dust. 1 of them is in college, 1 has segregated himself from all people because his dad is going to die in the next month or so, and the last one still keeps in touch, but not that much.

My best friend is someone I met on a video game, and now we communicate through Google Hangouts. It’s nice to have someone to vent to.

——

Most people at my homeschool group hate me, because of a dating fiasco gone wrong, but that’s another story... :rolleyes:

They used to only spank me when I broke a “serious rule”. (Going outside without telling anyone, lying, running in the house, etc.)

Same here. My iPad is literally my life, because it’s the only way I can communicate with people. So when my parents take it away, it takes something away from me.

I know that sounds pathetic and millennialistic, but it’s true. :/

Alcohol is very nasty, in both ways. I’ve only tried a small bit of wine, champagne, and beer, and all were disgusting and almost made me gag. :sick:

—-

The friend that I mentioned above: His dad is an alcoholic, and he’s in the hospital with stage 4 liver cancer, because he drank himself into death. (Essentially)

He has three sons: One is 19, and he is a super respectable guy. Even though his dad is about to die, he still has a positive outlook and is good talking to. Another one is 16, and has secluded himself from the world, and especially his friends. The last one is only 13, and he makes jokes about it, but I can tell he’s really sad. Kids his age make jokes about not-so funny things, to try to coverup their grief.

I have an older cousins who vapes. I don’t know him very well, he lives in New York and doesn’t keep in touch. From what I’ve heard he is kinda... sketchy. Creepy kinda guy I guess. Hasn’t made good life choices.
There’s this guy at my work that just bought a truck from my dad, and he is super nice and fun, but he vapes.

I don’t like judging people, because he is a super nice guy, but I really wish he wouldn’t vape. :(

YES YES YES, finally someone who really gets it!!
YES. My mom is very supportive of my fish keeping hobby, but she has limited me to only two tanks, because of how many other pets we have. But when my betta died today, and I was upset, she hugged me and said she would help me bury him and help me figure out what to do with my tank, and when my guppies died she helped me bury them.
Alcohol is very nasty, in both ways. I’ve only tried a small bit of wine, champagne, and beer, and all were disgusting and almost made me gag. :sick:
agreed. Disgusting, and in excessive amounts can damage your health
The friend that I mentioned above: His dad is an alcoholic, and he’s in the hospital with stage 4 liver cancer, because he drank himself into death. (Essentially)

He has three sons: One is 19, and he is a super respectable guy. Even though his dad is about to die, he still has a positive outlook and is good talking to. Another one is 16, and has secluded himself from the world, and especially his friends. The last one is only 13, and he makes jokes about it, but I can tell he’s really sad. Kids his age make jokes about not-so funny things, to try to coverup their grief.
That is heart breaking. I can‘t imagine if I were 13 and my dad was dying I wouldn’t know how to handle it either. Their poor family :-(
There’s this guy at my work that just bought a truck from my dad, and he is super nice and fun, but he vapes.

I don’t like judging people, because he is a super nice guy, but I really wish he wouldn’t vape. :(
Eek. The lady we are potentially buying one of our horses from vapes. It irritated my mom that she would sit there and vape while trying to make a good impression of her business to our family. Some people just don’t seem to realize how much harm it causes their body:dunno:

Honestly, I’ve just started not caring. People (especially teenagers) judge you by one glance and they give their opinion on wether or not they will like you. If you wear Yeezy’s, have a tan, and look good, they may consider talking to you. But other than that, you’re a goner.
Ahh yes. I think the MOST I have ever spent on a pair of shoes was $50, but they were really nice and worked well to wear every day when I went to school, and my younger sisters fit in them now and the shoes are like 5 years old. Other than that, almost all my clothes and shoes I buy used or get as hand me downs. My old friend spends $30 a piece for jeans! I found an awesome pair of steel toed rain boots at Goodwill a few days ago for only $2! A lot of people don’t like to buy things used, but honestly you can find some really nice things used for cheap, there is no way I will ever spend $200 on shoes!

To be honest, I don’t care what people think about me. If they are so messed up that they think the only things important in life are good looks and popularity, they aren’t worth my time trying to impress or gain approval from

Most people at my homeschool group hate me, because of a dating fiasco gone wrong, but that’s another story... :rolleyes:
Oh no. That’s no good. Now I wanna know what happened:rofl:

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Back