🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

DevUK

UKAPS member
Reaction score
Common Name: Pentazona barb, Five Banded barb

Scientific Name: Barbus pentazona

Family: Cyprinidae

Maximum Size: 5cm (2")

Sociability: Mid level water dweller, schoaling fish which prefers a minimum group of 5 or more. Very peaceful community fish.

Minimum Tank size: small to mid sized planted community tanks are ideal for a small group, I would suggest 15 gallon+.

ph: 6.5-7

Temperature: 23-29 degrees C (74-84 degrees F)

Sexing: Female is much larger and rounder than the male. Male is generally smaller than females and more vibrant colour. Male has fin tips which are more red.

Care Level: Easy for Beginers.

Care: Requires good plant cover as this fish can be a little timmid but still open areas to school. Avoid overly bright lighting or provide good shaded areas.

Aquarium: Good for medium planted community type aquariums with rocks or wood. Prefers groups larger than 5. A heavily planted, dimly lit or well shaded aquarium provides this fish with the best environment. Provide ample swimming space.

Feeding: Omnivorous. Will take live, frozen or flake foods.

Pic of my own Pentazonas:

IMG_3900.JPG

Please ask permission before using this photo, thanks!

do they nip fins?? and are they ok in a shoal of 5??

Peaceful species I had 3, all they had in the shop, upped the group to 11 when I found them again about 6 months on.

do they nip fins?? and are they ok in a shoal of 5??

These are much different from their close cousins the tiger barbs. These will be fine in a small shoal and won't nip other fish. In fact, they are quite shy. Having another shoal of "dither" fish will help them be less reclusive, as long as the other shoal isn't overly boisterous itself.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back