Penn Plax Cascade 600 Submersible Aquarium Filter

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

FishGuest5123

Fish Maniac
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with these and if so, what is your opinion? Looking for something larger than my Aqua Clear 30 for my 29G tank. I like the Aqua Clear but sometimes it’s hard to get going again.

The Aquaclear gets a bad rap for not restarting after unplugging or a power failure. The 'problem' is that 'stuff' gets down in the impeller magnet chamber. However, if once a month or so, you take the filter off, remove the motor and clean the impeller magnet chamber, then reassemble. Then it will restart every time!!!
If I was you, I'd put an Aquaclear 70 on that 29g and run on low flow/maximum re-filtration....and clean the impeller magnet as described.
Alternatively, Seachem's Tidal is getting some good press.
seachem tidal.jpg

No.
But if you want to stick with an HOB I can recommend the Seachem tidal 30. The pump is in the water so you don't need to do anything to get it going - besides turn it on

Does anyone have experience with these and if so, what is your opinion? Looking for something larger than my Aqua Clear 30 for my 29G tank. I like the Aqua Clear but sometimes it’s hard to get going again.
hi
i have 3 tanks with these. i think they work well. the charcoal cartridges can be refilled or you can buy pre- filled. filter can be placed horizontally or vertically. the force of of the water flow can changed. easy to clean. the only problem i have is taking the sections apart. it’s quite wide to be able to hold release tabs in on both sides. i put a shower curtain ring( the tip of one) on one side to push in the release while pushing in the other side with my thumb. i recommend them. hope that helps.

Thanks guys. Let me ask you this. If I have an Aqua Clear 30 and a Sponge Filter for a 55G in there, do I have enough filtration already? Problem is I moved my community from my 20L to my 29G.

hi
i have 3 tanks with these. i think they work well. the charcoal cartridges can be refilled or you can buy pre- filled. filter can be placed horizontally or vertically. the force of of the water flow can changed. easy to clean. the only problem i have is taking the sections apart. it’s quite wide to be able to hold release tabs in on both sides. i put a shower curtain ring( the tip of one) on one side to push in the release while pushing in the other side with my thumb. i recommend them. hope that helps.
Good feedback. Thanks!

I don't know anything about the Penn Plax filters.
But I also vouch for aquaclear filter. They are easy to remove the media for cleaning. Mine does often need repriming to restart and occsionally I have to spin the impeller with an ice pick to get it going. Once a month I remove the motor, clean the impeller with a brush and reinstall. At the same time, I clean the housing with a brush and hot water. The AC 30 is a bit small in my opinion. You'd be better off with an AC50 in your 29 gallon tank. I have an AC50 is in my 35 gallon tall hex tank and I have a 40 gallon capacity sponge filter as well. Aquaclears are good filters if you maintain them properly. I have had mine for going on 7 years with no major issues.

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Back