Pearl, Honey Or Dwarf Gourami

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

benthyer

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
So I was talking to some of our lovely members in the chat room the other night about how all I need now is a centerpiece fish to finish it off. I was thinking Pearl Gourami but was also open to other suggestions and they came back with the Honey and Dwarf as well.

The issue I have now is that I like all of them and just can't decide so want to know which you prefer and why?

I am also open to other suggestions if anyone has any?

I am looking for a fish that will occupy the mid to top level of my tank.

My current stock list is:
1 BN Plec
5 Cory's (Will increase to 6)
4 Guppies
6 Rasbora's
4 Danio's
Lots of unwanted snails!! (Working on this! Lettuce, Cucumber and courgette is not working!)

I have a Pearl Gourami in my 46G and I have never regreted the decision once, he has a strong personality, occupies top, mid levels, and is starting to show more and more colors after two weeks in! :)

Yeah I have seen pictures of them online and they look really nice but every time I have seen them in the LFS they really don't look that great :s

I really like the dwarf gouramis. But I just saw royal blue dwarfs at my LFS yesterday and they were beautiful. I have a pearl right now and you are right in the shop they look kinda dull but once the settle in to the tank at home they start to show nicely.

As for the snails, have you thought about assassin snails? IF you are allowed to have them they will take care of the population in a few months and they breed very slowly.

Most fish you will see in the LFS are not what they will be once they are in your home aquarium.
They are most likely:
Young so not at their top color
Recent arrivals, which means they are really stressed
In poor quality water, which means they are even more stressed
Females, or ,
Finally, they might be sick.

Most pictures you see online are of Male Gouramis that are in top notch water conditions with their breeding colors, with light designed to make your fish stand out.

As I said, my male gourami is just starting to show his nice colors, his spots being more and more iridescent, and starting to show some blue-green over his body.

It is good to know that those fish are also low light fish, which means they'll show more colors when they are in low light conditions.
If what you are looking for is a really colorfull fish, then you might be better with something else!

The main reason why I chose a Pearl instead of Dwarf, is because Pearl Gouramis are much more hardier than dwarf, and I prefer them over the honey gouramis.

smile.png

As for your snail problem, I recently had an infestation and started feeding less, it seemed to slow down the reproduction, every time I see one snail near the top of the tank, I crush it with a pair of pliers, and feed it to my fish
wink.png

Yeah that's all true. 

I'm not after something really colourful, my guppies are my colourful fish :)

I think I might stick with 2 Pearls, I have always liked them and as stated are the hardiest of the three.

Assassin Snails seem like a good idea, I have also started to cut down on my feeding, never been great on knowing how much to give though. I recently bought some pellets for my cories and always put too much in :S I'll learn eventually haha.

I have picked almost 20 snails out by hand, I wish I could have Clown Loach in my tank, so pretty and they will eat the snails.

benthyer said:
Yeah that's all true. 

I'm not after something really colourful, my guppies are my colourful fish
smile.png

I think I might stick with 2 Pearls, I have always liked them and as stated are the hardiest of the three.

Assassin Snails seem like a good idea, I have also started to cut down on my feeding, never been great on knowing how much to give though. I recently bought some pellets for my cories and always put too much in
wacko.png
I'll learn eventually haha.

I have picked almost 20 snails out by hand, I wish I could have Clown Loach in my tank, so pretty and they will eat the snails.

Just chiming in to say that I'm having the same dilemma about the choice in gouramis! They all look very pretty and would make great centrepiece fish, unfortunately I think my tank is a tad on the small side for the pearls (it's only 64 litres) so I'm thinking honey or dwarf :)

Oh and through my research I've found that people strongly recommend keeping them as singles unless you are breeding. Apparently they can be aggressive towards one another no matter the sex?

Pearl all the way! They definitely look more unique than the other two and will stand out more which is what you want with a centerpiece fish. :)

Think my mind is made up then unless someone comes up with anything AMAZING! haha

What is your tank size? If it is only 115l I would strongly recommend to go for honey or dwarf as this is a little small for pearl gouramis.

Edit: If you go for a single pearl gourami it might work, but imho they can reach quite some size and should be kept in larger tanks.

KCB said:

Oh and through my research I've found that people strongly recommend keeping them as singles unless you are breeding. Apparently they can be aggressive towards one another no matter the sex?

I have heard success stories though where people have had no issues in keeping them in pairs.

hobby5 said:
What is your tank size? If it is only 115l I would strongly recommend to go for honey or dwarf as this is a little small for pearl gouramis.

Edit: If you go for a single pearl gourami it might work, but imho they can reach quite some size and should be kept in larger tanks.

Well 115L equates to 30G and that is the minimum recommended size for the pearls from the research I have done.

benthyer said:

I have heard success stories though where people have had no issues in keeping them in pairs.

hobby5 said:

Well 115L equates to 30G and that is the minimum recommended size for the pearls from the research I have done.

Yeh I've heard that also so wasn't sure myself. I think if they have plenty of room to establish territories then they're ok.

I would say Pearl all the way!

Pearls can be kept in pairs as they are far less aggressive than other types of gouramis.

Most fish are not going to be as colorful in a shop, and gouramis much more so probably bc there are so many in a tank and the tank is not set up to replicate their natural habitat, or simply bc let's face it, most shops don't have the best conditions for the fish.

But yes, I would say pearl, though I have heard great things about honey too.

My mind has deffo been made up thanks guys,

Also just noticed that I have managed to post this in the planted section. Sorry admin, feel free to move it :)

So update on this. I have picked up pearl gouramis today, :)

They are the best looking Pearl's I have ever seen in a LFS!

image.jpg

Aren't they so pretty :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back