Pearl Gourami- Fin Rot from tail damage?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

Peepss

Tank of the Month šŸ†
Reaction score
AA5709DB-5BDA-4E7A-9FA9-F417DA03406C.jpeg
5C91CD7E-6D5B-45A6-8808-919F071CB257.jpeg
A62143F0-30A5-46CB-A40A-C0B752491F0E.jpeg
8BE39816-1F9F-4934-A75A-0066464320E5.jpeg
My Opaline decided to turn on my poor Pearl and did a number on her tail. Iā€™ve moved her to a separate tank to heal but now it seems like she is starting to get an infection on the left side. She is having a hard time swimming so I canā€™t get a good view of the left, but it definitely seemed more inflamed and red from the quick view I got. Can fin rot develop from an injury like this? The tank sheā€™s in now is extremely clean so Iā€™m a little confused how it could have happened.

I have a couple pics of her right side & some blurry ones of the left.

Any advice is appreciated!

Last edited:
Hi and welcome to the forum :)

The pearl gourami has a bacterial infection on the back half of her body and she is red around the face/ head. Check the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate & pH levels to make sure they are good.

Bacterial infections can infect any open wound in any fish. She needs treating with a broad spectrum medication that treats fungal and bacterial infections asap.

Before you treat the tank, wipe the inside of the glass, do a 75% water change and a complete gravel clean. Remove any carbon from the filter and throw it away, and then clean the filter.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank.

To work out the volume of water in the tank:
measure length x width x height in cm.
divide by 1000.
= volume in litres.

When you measure the height, measure from the top of the substrate to the top of the water level.

There is a calculator/ converter in the "How To Tips" at the top of the page that will convert litres to gallons if you need to.

If you have catfish, loaches or scaleless fish in the tank, check the directions for using any medication with scaleless fishes. If there is nothing on the packaging about treating scaleless fishes, then use the medication at half strength.

Thanks for all the advice! I just posted a couple pics I was jus able to get of her left side. Do you think thereā€™s coming back from this?
Sheā€™s in the tank with a couple shrimp and frogs, should I separate her further or should I treat the whole tank the same way?

She should recover if treated soon but move her out of that tank and put her in a different tank without frogs or shrimp. Most aquarium medications kill frogs so you want to avoid putting anything in the frog tank.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back