Pearl Gourami Columnaris??

This is not a protozoan infection so do not use the one for velvet/ ich.
Use the medication that treats fungus, finrot and bacteria.

If you can use the smaller tank it means you won't have to treat the main tank and that means you won't be exposing the other fish to chemicals. However, the choice is yours as to which tank you treat him in.

Before you treat the tank, do the following things.
Work out the volume of water in the tank:
measure length x width x height in cm.
divide by 1000.
= volume in litres.
When you measure the height, measure from the top of the substrate to the top of the water level.

There is a calculator/ converter in the "How To Tips" at the top of this page that will let you convert litres to gallons if you need it.

Remove carbon from the filter before treating or it will adsorb the medication and stop it working.

Wipe the inside of the glass down with a clean fish sponge.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate. The water changes and gravel cleaning will reduce the number of disease organisms in the water and provide a cleaner environment for the fish to recover in. Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank.

Clean the filter if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks.

Increase surface turbulence/ aeration when using medications because they reduce the dissolved oxygen in the water.

This is not a protozoan infection so do not use the one for velvet/ ich.
Use the medication that treats fungus, finrot and bacteria.

If you can use the smaller tank it means you won't have to treat the main tank and that means you won't be exposing the other fish to chemicals. However, the choice is yours as to which tank you treat him in.

Before you treat the tank, do the following things.
Work out the volume of water in the tank:
divide by 1000.
= volume in litres.
When you measure the height, measure from the top of the substrate to the top of the water level.

There is a calculator/ converter in the "How To Tips" at the top of this page that will let you convert litres to gallons if you need it.

Remove carbon from the filter before treating or it will adsorb the medication and stop it working.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate. The water changes and gravel cleaning will reduce the number of disease organisms in the water and provide a cleaner environment for the fish to recover in. Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank.

Clean the filter if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks.

Increase surface turbulence/ aeration when using medications because they reduce the dissolved oxygen in the water.
Get the one for bacteria then.
Brilliant, thanks you two! Hopefully he'll begin to recover over the next while with all of this. I'll post if it goes good/bad. Thanks again!

Well, I suppose I'll give a bit of an update on whats happening so far.

At first the infection began to appear elsewhere on his body. Nearer to his caudal fin. But after a day or so of treatment the infection on his face began to slowly clear. Its still there, but there's patches where its going away. I believe the part on his back end may be shrinking slightly too.

He's still quite jumpy. When I stand up from my chair at my desk beside the tank he'll dart away. He's definitely not his old dominant and confident self. Though as I'm sitting he'll come over to me to beg for food. He's still eating, though I thought he may have stopped yesterday. He just didn't see the food, he took it eventually.

Hopefully it keeps on clearing up. And I'm hoping he'll regain some confidence. Though it wouldn't hurt if he would be a bit more peaceful from here on out.

He's still quite jumpy. When I stand up from my chair at my desk beside the tank he'll dart away.
That's a common sign with overdosing medications or poor water quality. Check the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH of the tank water.
Make sure you did not overdose with the medication.

--------------------------
The following formula will let you work out how much water is in the tank. You should also follow the steps below when using any medication.

To work out the volume of water in the tank:
divide by 1000.
= volume in litres.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate. The water changes and gravel cleaning will reduce the number of disease organisms in the water and provide a cleaner environment for the fish to recover in.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank.

Clean the filter if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks. However, if the filter is less than 6 weeks old, do not clean it. Wash filter materials/ media in a bucket of tank water.

Reactions: Bub
That's a common sign with overdosing medications or poor water quality. Check the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH of the tank water.
Make sure you did not overdose with the medication.

--------------------------
The following formula will let you work out how much water is in the tank. You should also follow the steps below when using any medication.

To work out the volume of water in the tank:
divide by 1000.
= volume in litres.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate. The water changes and gravel cleaning will reduce the number of disease organisms in the water and provide a cleaner environment for the fish to recover in.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank.

Clean the filter if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks. However, if the filter is less than 6 weeks old, do not clean it. Wash filter materials/ media in a bucket of tank water.

Hi! My water quality is always pretty consistent. 0,0,5 or less. I worked out the amount that I would need to dose after your instructions previously. I'm pretty sure I got it right. He was quite jumpy when he first got sick.

As of today he's looking even better. He's been hanging around the front of the tank more. I've only seen him at the front, where the light doesn't make the infection very obvious. But from what I can see its doing even better today.

Alright, I'd say this will be the last update now.

He's acting like his old self, only I haven't seen any aggression now. He's even back to biting/sucking my fingers when I am doing something in the tank. Very interactive again and doesn't run away. At this point there's only a few small patches at a few points on his body, but they are growing fainter every day.

So I doubt there will be anything more to say on this topic. Thank you all so much for the help, its really appreciated!!

Okay, so this is getting pretty weird. I did the initial treatment and it seemed to work out. He looked great and he was behaving like himself again. However every now and then this will set back in again. It will get pretty bad for a day or two, then begin to recede to the point that its barely there. He no longer has the trailers on his anal fin, but other than that he doesn't seem too bad. He just alternates between looking normal and being patchy...

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back