Peacock tank

Mrscmurray

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I'm thinking of setting up a tank for peacocks and just wondered if anyone has any advice from previous experience. I'm thinking a 55g with sand substrate and lots of rock scaping, what about plants?
Our water is hard here so I'm working with 282ppm for gh (based on info from water provider) and 8 kh (liquid test) and it comes out at 7.8ph
I've read to keep only 1 type of peacock to prevent crossbreeding and to keep 1 male to 3-4 female
Does all that sound OK?

Sent from my HTC Desire 626 using Tapatalk

Sounds good. Since peacocks crossbreed you can add smaller haps with them. 3 groups with 1m/3-4f each would work. The only issue with this is only the males will be colorful.

Just to double check, would that be 3 groups of haps? I want to go slow with this one to make sure I get it right. I don't mind too much on the colour front, I want to make it as natural for them as possible

You could do 3 groups of hap species or 1 peacock species and 2 hap species. A group would be 1m/3-4 females. You want each group to have females that look different. Any certain fish you are interested in?

Also since they are more peaceful, you can substitute yellow labs for one group. A nice looking tank could have the following, 1m/3-4f each: placidochromis Electra, yellow labs, and ruby red peacocks.

I haven't narrowed down the ones I want just yet, might look to go for the more blue variety as my other tank is oranges and yellows. Going to have a read up on the haps and see which ones I like the look of.
What about plants? I have Amazon's & various moss types in my other one

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back