CFC

Leader of the Fishes
Reaction score
Common name/s: Peacock spiny eel

Scientific name: Macrognathus aculeatus

Family: Mastacembelidae

Origin: Common throughout south east asia

Maximum size: 14"

Care: The smallest of the commonly seen spiny eels (tyre track and fire eels being the others) it is more suitable for home aquariums than its giant relatives, a minimum of a 36" tank should be used to house this fish. Offer a sand substrate since the fish likes to burrow, plants are best left out since the eel/s will continually uproot them. Being predators they should only be combined with fish that are over 3", smaller fish will be eaten. They are not fussy of water parameters but the extreems of hardness and pH should be avoided, neutral water is best.

Feeding: Like with all eels feeding can be difficult, most eels will only accept live foods at first so try bloodworms, daphnia, glassworm, brineshrimp and black mosquito larvea, larger specimins should also take river/ghost shrimp. Once the eel is feeding confidently live foods can be swapped for frozen.

Breeding: Difficult but possible, i have witnessed my 3 peacock spiny eels spawning on two occasions but neither time had a breeding tank prepared (also if you have ever tried to catch a spiny eel in a well furnished tank you will know that it is near impossible). The two male eels pursued the female (identified as being the larger more rounded of the trio) around the tank while she dropped many small clear eggs on the substrate and decor, the eggs were immiedietly eaten by other fish in the tank. The spawning triggers each time seem to be linked to large feedings of live foods and large water changes.

Comments: Unlike other spiny eels peacocks appear to like the company of their own kind, if possible keep a small group of them.

eel_2.jpg

my peacock eel

mod edit: the fish in the picture is actually a zig zag spiney eel; Mastacembelus circumcintus.

Attachments

• peacock_eel.jpg
    peacock_eel.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 490
The striped peacock spiny eel is actually a seperate species Macrognathus siamensis

I hate to be a pedant, but some of the names here are wrong. Spiny eels are a pain to identify, and virtually every book gets them wrong. Your only reliable source of names is Fishbase.

This fish is Macrognathus aral. Also known as the one-stripe spiny eel.

post-22-1103649895.jpg

Now, this one (the commonest species, I think) is the true Macrognathus siamensis. It is traded as the peacock spiny eel.

P9020001.jpg

Finally, this one, is indeed Macrognathus circumcintus. Not a commonly traded species.

post-44-1107738620.jpg

Of the three, only Macrognathus aral is sometimes found in brackish water. Contrary to popular belief, spiny eels neither need salt, nor appreciate it, and are best kept in freshwater aquaria, just as CFC says.

Cheers,

Neale

i have a 9 " one-stripe spiny eel that looks just like the 1 in cfc's pic... & i find it fairly easy to care for him. he stays in his cave all day & at around 10p every night he comes out for feeding & to play! he "eats only frozen bloodworm" but the cool thing is he eats it right out of my hand! i mean as soon as i stick my hand in the water here he comes!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back