Peacock holding eggs

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
"Congrats" and "Thanks" for the progression pics.
9 months into my journey with Africans (Peacocks/Haps)
After a few months had females holding eggs, but... not ready to strip them.
Right now keeping the males separated from the females.

Good Luck!

"Congrats" and "Thanks" for the progression pics.
9 months into my journey with Africans (Peacocks/Haps)
After a few months had females holding eggs, but... not ready to strip them.
Right now keeping the males separated from the females.

Good Luck!
Thank you! Congrats to you too. We've had them over a yr and my son noticed female holding. He stripped th and put in egg tumbler. Surprised we only lost few. I should take a pic of the peacocks and take poll who daddy could be. Haha

2 days after transfer. All doing well. No losses
20210504_051211.jpg

When I raise fry I typically use Hikari first bites - but when it's fish that I'm raising to sell, I do BBS first until they are a few weeks old and then migrate to First Bites --> then flake.

When I raise fry I typically use Hikari first bites - but when it's fish that I'm raising to sell, I do BBS first until they are a few weeks old and then migrate to First Bites --> then flake.
Thank you for the info. We will go purchase some this weekend. We will be selling these guys. Just waiting to see their colors.

Last edited:
@Colin_T is not wrong - they are bigger than many species of fry.

Baby Brine Shrimp, to my knowledge, are highly valued for two reasons:

1. If using live, they swim freely which helps tiny newborn fry realize they are food and start eating.

2. They are highly nutritious as the yolk sack that would be used for the brine shrimp to grow is now being used for the fish to grow. Similar (in effect) to the benefits of eating eggs - complete, whole protein and highly nutritious.

Reason #2 is why I start with BBS and move on to commercial alternatives once they've hit the size where I think the "positive net benefit" is eclipsed on the bell curve of cost per feeding/consequent growth.

Reactions: L&K
Thanks. We will diffenitely purchase this weekend. They are getting big so fast. Here's a pic of mom and a pic of all the other Africans. We hope ots one of the bright colorful ones
20210508_084010.jpg
20210508_084039.jpg

Update
momma holding eggs again. 2 days ago noticed she had mouth closed but still eating scrap flakes and yesterday she looked like this.
20210512_170550.jpg
20210512_170550.jpg
the 1st batch are all doing great.. no losses. Who knows how many momma is holding now. Will wait a week before stripping them. 2nd pic are some of possible dads.have more that are not shown
20210512_170550.jpg
20210512_163540.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back