Peacock holding eggs

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

L&K

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello everyone!
Our son noticed that our peacock was holding eggs so we brought out our egg tumbler and son extracted the eggs. 1st time they bred. Any advice? They are secluded in the egg tumbler in our 180g take. They are bouncing but to too extensive

Attachments

• 20210415_170244.jpg
    20210415_170244.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 90
Never remove the eggs from the female unless she dies. Cichlids show parental care and the mother looks after the eggs and babies. When cichlids are artificially reared without their mother, they don't learn how to be parents and generally don't show good brood care for their own young.

In addition to messing up the young, you put the females under a lot of stress by chasing them around, catching them and then forcing them to spit out the eggs.

How would you like it if someone took your new born baby away from you and left it to fend for itself. You don't need to answer that, just think about it.

-------------------
If you keep the eggs alive and they hatch, the babies can take newly hatched brineshrimp when they start swimming.

That's exciting!

Since this post is a bit old - do you have any updates?

While I do agree with @Colin_T that it's best to leave the eggs with the parents, I think for the hobbyist it really depends on the intended outcome. If you are not too considered about the overall survival of the babies - leaving them with mom is best. She will care for them roughly for 1 month - at that point, she will abandon them to fend for themselves. The largest/most evasive will survive in the rockwork until it's they are large enough to hold their own.

If you want the highest survival rate, stripping them as you have done is your best chance. I used to breed Yellow Lab Cichlids and I would get 20+ healthy juveniles from stripping the female. You could theoretically put the female in her own tank with a lot of rockwork and wait for her to spit all of the babies out and then snag her - it's less invasive but you run the risk of waiting too long. At some point and time, mom will consider them food instead of children.

They are doing really good in the egg tumbler. Only lost 5 maybe 8 max.

Attachments

• 20210423_051126.jpg
    20210423_051126.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 69
Mouth brooding cichlids interest me as a South American cichlid owner , being part of a cichlid group most of the members own African rift lake cichlids and noticed tht sometimes the fry get stuck to the egg yolk not sure why iv saw 6 week fry still attached to the egg which never happens with egg layers , any body know why ?

Mouth brooding cichlids interest me as a South American cichlid owner , being part of a cichlid group most of the members own African rift lake cichlids and noticed tht sometimes the fry get stuck to the egg yolk not sure why iv saw 6 week fry still attached to the egg which never happens with egg layers , any body know why ?
I'm not sure what you're describing. The yolk sack gets absorbed by the fry within the first few days - so it's not possible for them to get "suck to it"; they consume it.

@L&K they look great!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back