Peacock gudgeon photos

Rocky998

Kinda crazy, but somehow they let me stay
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
This will be a thread all on my peacock gudgeons... I will try to get the nicest pictures (it wont be daily most likely).

These are pictures I took of two of the gudgeons hanging out together... These two normally always stick close by each other.
0127221356d.jpg

0127221356b.jpg

Did the shop indicate what gender they were? The photos show females. No hump on the forehead (though a juvenile male won't have grown it yet) and dark edges to the fins indicate females.

Did the shop indicate what gender they were? The photos show females. No hump on the forehead (though a juvenile male won't have grown it yet) and dark edges to the fins indicate females.
I believe I have all females

At least you won't have a male pestering the females on a regular basis. I've kept these fish in the past. They like to breed in tiny spaces, so small you'd wonder how they'd fit. I've seen the male trying to push a female into his 'cave' :blink:

At least you won't have a male pestering the females on a regular basis. I've kept these fish in the past. They like to breed in tiny spaces, so small you'd wonder how they'd fit. I've seen the male trying to push a female into his 'cave' :blink:
Lol... I did want at least one male... But I guess not... Or maybe later on I can add a fourth gudgeon and hope its a male.

If you do decide to look for a male, see if you can source mature fish and look for one with an almost square head.

It's not really square, that was the best word I could come up with.
Look at the two photos here
The top one is a male, the bottom a female. The female's head slopes gently from the mouth towards the back. The male's head slopes at a steeper angle from the mouth, then curves over to a more gentle slope. But this 'hump' only develops when he is mature.
Males don't usually have that black edge to their fins either, that's a female thing.

It's not really square, that was the best word I could come up with.
Look at the two photos here
The top one is a male, the bottom a female. The female's head slopes gently from the mouth towards the back. The male's head slopes at a steeper angle from the mouth, then curves over to a more gentle slope. But this 'hump' only develops when he is mature.
Males don't usually have that black edge to their fins either, that's a female thing.
I see it now! It makes sense... Thank you. Between those 2 photos the female honestly looks better... usually its the male in the animal kingdom that has a better display

I see it now! It makes sense... Thank you. Between those 2 photos the female honestly looks better... usually its the male in the animal kingdom that has a better display
But maybe its just that one cause im seeing really pretty male gudgeons online

Have you noticed their eyes yet? At certain angles they look bluish white, like they're covered with a white film. Scared me the first time I saw it, I thought they had some nasty disease :lol:

Have you noticed their eyes yet? At certain angles they look bluish white, like they're covered with a white film. Scared me the first time I saw it, I thought they had some nasty disease :lol:
Yes I have, their beautiful

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back