Video Peacock Gudgeon Fry At Feeding Time

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Doing really well with these Rocky well done!

I've never said this about baby fish before, not they are cute and I want some!

I've never said this about baby fish before, not they are cute and I want some!
I'd have to check with my parents but depending on where you live I'd be willing to give one or two away.
We can't go to another state or more than a few hours away (my parent would never let me just to drop off some fish) but if you're close enough I'd hope my parents MIGHT let me give you some

I'd have to check with my parents but depending on where you live I'd be willing to give one or two away.
We can't go to another state or more than a few hours away (my parent would never let me just to drop off some fish) but if you're close enough I'd hope my parents MIGHT let me give you some
Hmm, I'm in the D.C. area, so no, I doubt that we could meet up. BUT, I've been considering getting some for my ten gal. Do you have any tips to keep them successfully?

Hmm, I'm in the D.C. area, so no, I doubt that we could meet up. BUT, I've been considering getting some for my ten gal. Do you have any tips to keep them successfully?
Make sure if you have a male that he has a cave. My female is out and about but my male is a full bottom dweller and likes his caves.
I would also recommend a soft substrate like sand because they will usually be close to the bottom.
I would keep them in a ratio of 1 male to 2 females BUT they can also be kept in pairs nicely when they pair off. (You will have a ton of fry in the right set up)

What else is in the 10g? I would be careful with tankmates in my opinion as they seem to be a bit aggressive with one another but they would work fairly well in a community set up.

I have nothing in the tank right now, it's empty. My Betta is supposed to be living in there, but had been sickly on and off for the last 4 ish months, and might just live out the rest of her days in the hospital tank. I won't be getting any fish though until I know for sure the Betta's living situation. The tank is already scaped with sand, so at least that's covered! Also, I know not to put the Bettas and peacocks together, don't worry about me making that mistake. If I ever need to travel to NC, I'll make sure to pm you about the fish!

I have nothing in the tank right now, it's empty. My Betta is supposed to be living in there, but had been sickly on and off for the last 4 ish months, and might just live out the rest of her days in the hospital tank. I won't be getting any fish though until I know for sure the Betta's living situation. The tank is already scaped with sand, so at least that's covered! Also, I know not to put the Bettas and peacocks together, don't worry about me making that mistake. If I ever need to travel to NC, I'll make sure to pm you about the fish!
Sounds good!
Hopefully my parents would be ok with it if you ever did travel out 😕
Is your betta ok? Sounds like he isnt doing well from what you said....

Peacock gudgeons also love big leafy plants! My female gudgeon likes to sometimes rest on the anubias leaf or go into a patch of java ferns like a clown fish does with anemones.

I am plagued by crypts, and I have java ferns. My Betta has always looked malnourished, she just kinda came from Petco (I plan to never shop there again) that way. She was doing fine for the first 4-5 months, and then due to a tank housing situation, I tried moving her to my 29 gal, where the current was too strong and caused enough stress that she succumbed to fin rot. When I saw this happen, I got her set up in the hospital tank, where she quickly threw off the fin rot, and SLOWLY started to regrow her fins. At this point, the reason she had been removed from the 10 gal in the first place had been taken care of, so I was able to put her back in that once she was ready. That was late may, early June. That is when I tried and failed at shrimp. She tried to eat one the first time she saw it, but after being in time out, and just watching, she stopped being a predator, and more of spectator as to what the shrimp were up to. But she was being super lethargic, and her fins stopped regrowing. The shrimp were disappearing, and I wondered if it was because she was eating them when I wasn't looking or something (I don't really know why the shrimp failed, it was just a hypothesis at the time). So back into the hospital tank she went until I could hopefully take care of the shrimp. She was doing okay ish for a while, but then around July she suddenly lost a ton of finnage again! I don't want to cause kidney failure by doing too much salt for too long, so I have to be careful and keep in mind how long she's in the salted water. She's been doing better lately, at least recovered the finnage that she had before the last turn. But her fins stopped growing back, and she hangs out at the bottom until I come to say hello and give food, so I don't really know when she'll be able to go back to the 10 gal.
Sorry for this long life story, but you did technically ask for it! ;)

I am plagued by crypts, and I have java ferns. My Betta has always looked malnourished, she just kinda came from Petco (I plan to never shop there again) that way. She was doing fine for the first 4-5 months, and then due to a tank housing situation, I tried moving her to my 29 gal, where the current was too strong and caused enough stress that she succumbed to fin rot. When I saw this happen, I got her set up in the hospital tank, where she quickly threw off the fin rot, and SLOWLY started to regrow her fins. At this point, the reason she had been removed from the 10 gal in the first place had been taken care of, so I was able to put her back in that once she was ready. That was late may, early June. That is when I tried and failed at shrimp. She tried to eat one the first time she saw it, but after being in time out, and just watching, she stopped being a predator, and more of spectator as to what the shrimp were up to. But she was being super lethargic, and her fins stopped regrowing. The shrimp were disappearing, and I wondered if it was because she was eating them when I wasn't looking or something (I don't really know why the shrimp failed, it was just a hypothesis at the time). So back into the hospital tank she went until I could hopefully take care of the shrimp. She was doing okay ish for a while, but then around July she suddenly lost a ton of finnage again! I don't want to cause kidney failure by doing too much salt for too long, so I have to be careful and keep in mind how long she's in the salted water. She's been doing better lately, at least recovered the finnage that she had before the last turn. But her fins stopped growing back, and she hangs out at the bottom until I come to say hello and give food, so I don't really know when she'll be able to go back to the 10 gal.
Sorry for this long life story, but you did technically ask for it! ;)
Man... Sounds like that betta has been through the ringer...
I wonder why she got super stressed and got sick?
Could it be something in or on the 10g? Seems like once she was moved she started getting better then when she was moved back the issues reappeared... If I was you I would completely scrap the original 10g and restart it from bare bones.
Cause if you go to add any fish to it they may get sick like the betta.
This is just my opinion but I do strongly recommend it.

And I know that I asked for it 😅. I'm not mad or annoyed you gave a story.

I think it was the strong current in the 29 gal that I had to put her in for a while that stressed her out. But yes, I completely tore down the 10 gal last weekend and changed the sand out for new sand. The sand that was originally in there was turning dark gray around the seiryu stone I had in there, and I think harboring dormant cyanobacteria (I'm not sure, just say that because I could see it through the glass). So I have replaced that sand for new, pool filter sand, and I didn't put the stone back in.
Thanks for being concerned about my Betta and having the patience to read such a long reply when your post was supposed to be about your gudgeons!

I think it was the strong current in the 29 gal that I had to put her in for a while that stressed her out. But yes, I completely tore down the 10 gal last weekend and changed the sand out for new sand. The sand that was originally in there was turning dark gray around the seiryu stone I had in there, and I think harboring dormant cyanobacteria (I'm not sure, just say that because I could see it through the glass). So I have replaced that sand for new, pool filter sand, and I didn't put the stone back in.
Thanks for being concerned about my Betta and having the patience to read such a long reply when your post was supposed to be about your gudgeons!
That could be it!
I suppose you got the stone while it was wet in another tank and you think it had bad bacteria on it?
Not a bad conclusion at all!
But another thing I see is the type of stone. That rock is not inert and does slowly release minerals that could have made the water hard for the betta.
And sense bettas like soft acidic-low alkaline, there may have been too many minerals.
Just a thought.
Good to hear you are restarting it. Especially when fish were mysteriously getting sick.

And it's not issue! I just don't want the thread going wayyyy deep off topic. But I'm not going to yell at you for going a but off topic 😅.
I enjoy the conversation.
And plus, I was concerned about your betta fish. Got worried when I heard she was sick.

Thanks for your support and feedback Rocky! I really appreciate it!
No problem! If you have any other questions or concerns just tag or pm me!
I will be away for a few days here though but I'll be on every now and then

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back