Peacock goby compatibility?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Darter217

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Currently have a 125 litre tank with 9 five banded barbs and 6 Juli Cory's. After looking pretty hard about what to finish my tank stocking with I came across the peacock gobys at my LFS. Just wanting to know how many of them I should keep (if I decide to get them) as well as how compatible they'd be with my other fish and how hardy they are? pH is 6.8.

Peacock gobies are absolutely wonderful fish, quiet, peaceful and beautiful, one of my favourites, and they will co-exist happily with your 5-Banded Barbs and cories.

Try to get a pair of them, they're easily sexable. Males have a more bulbous head than the females, whilst the females have a black line at the bottom of their anal fin.

Peacock gobies are absolutely wonderful fish, quiet, peaceful and beautiful, one of my favourites, and they will co-exist happily with your 5-Banded Barbs and cories.

Try to get a pair of them, they're easily sexable. Males have a more bulbous head than the females, whilst the females have a black line at the bottom of their anal fin.

The only drawback I've heard about them is that they only eat live food and will probably starve if you try to keep them on dried food like granules and pellets.

The only drawback I've heard about them is that they only eat live food and will probably starve if you try to keep them on dried food like granules and pellets.
Yeah, I heard that too, but it wasn't my experience. I suspect that this is because they are very much bottom dwellers, and don't want to come to the top to feed on floating food.

Again, having kept several specimens, I never found a problem, I fed them on floating and sinking granule food, as well as the occasional vegetable, and never had a problem with them not eating.

The only time I had that issue was when the male was guarding eggs. (Forgot to mention, they're quite easy to breed).

Yeah, I heard that too, but it wasn't my experience. I suspect that this is because they are very much bottom dwellers, and don't want to come to the top to feed on floating food.

Again, having kept several specimens, I never found a problem, I fed them on floating and sinking granule food, as well as the occasional vegetable, and never had a problem with them not eating.

The only time I had that issue was when the male was guarding eggs. (Forgot to mention, they're quite easy to breed).

That sounds good to me. At the moment it's between them and the rummy nose Tetra, leaning towards the gobbys though because I've heard that rummy nose can be very sensitive.

They will probably starve in a tank with barbs due to the barbs eating all the food, and you will probably never see them in a big tank. If you can deal with those 2 points they make wonderful additions to an aquarium.

They will probably starve in a tank with barbs due to the barbs eating all the food, and you will probably never see them in a big tank. If you can deal with those 2 points they make wonderful additions to an aquarium.

I already know about the feeding, I actually had to come up with a tactic to feed my Cory's as my barbs will swim down to the bottom and try to eat my sinking shrimp pellets and hikari wafers after they've already eaten their pellets or granules.

Again, that wasn't my experience with peacocks and pentazona barbs.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back