Peaceful Pleco That Doesn't Grow Too Large?

BrutusFry

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I am looking for suggestions on a peaceful pleco that would do well in my 55gallon community tank and won't outgrow it (at least not soon!). I am attracted to some of the more patterned varieties and love the albino ones! I don't have very small fish in there, the smallest is 2inches.

I have hard water and a high pH if that matters.

Thank you!

fluttermoth

The current Mrs Treguard ;)
Staff member
Global Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
A bristlenose sounds perfect for your set up. They come in quite a lot of colours, including albino, and are tolerant of hard/high pH water.

greenmumma141

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I would agree with fluttermoth. I'm sure there are a couple other varieties out there that could work, but I would suggest a bristlenose too. I have two of them and they are great. They are very gentle but filled with personality at the same time, they're readily available and cheap, and they only get about 4-5 inches. Plus the males have awesome beards :)

OP
OP
B

BrutusFry

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Bristlenose is just what I was thinking! I am very excited as I haven't had a pleco for years.

Is it better to get them as juveniles or could I already look into a more fully grown one? At what age can they be sexed? I would really like a fully bearded male.

eaglesaquarium

Life, Liberty & Pursuit of the perfect fish tank
Staff member
Global Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
You could get any size... up to you really.  Not sure about the age of the being able to determine gender though.

BerryAttack

Fish Addict
Reaction score
i don't know the age, but around the size of 2 inches you can.. the males have the "spikes" on the nose, where the female does not.

greenmumma141

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I agree that it's somewhere around 2inches...... that's when you will start to see little bumps on the face,if it's a male. I would start with a younger one, they grow prety fast and the young ones are great cleaners. I would be wary of very small ones though, they don't transport very well IMO.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online