Pea Puffer Help

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Luffy Dee Monkey

Reaction score
So a friend had a pea puffer but since it killed most his chili rasbora he was planning on giving it back. Me being myself told him that I could keep it instead and so he gave it to me. I only have a makeshift .5 gallon glass vase with a mini filter and heater. I put in an order for a 5 gallon so I could keep this guy but itā€™s going to take 1.5 MONTHS for it to come in.... Iā€™m beyond frustrated and donā€™t know what to do.

If possible at all, can I keep the DP in the .5 for now? If so let me know how many water changes are necessary and the percentage of each WC... I put myself in a crappy pinched position and am backed against a wall. My other tanks arenā€™t usable because they hold 20 chili rasbora and the other has a baby whale fish. These guys absolutely will NOT go in a .5 gall tank. Please help me out here if possible and let me know what I should do from here on out. I know itā€™s a heavy task and may not be healthy for the DP per se, but I really want to keep him.

You don't have a store anywhere close there? Just go to the Walmart and get a Tetra 10 gallon setup for $60 and some gravel and a few ornaments. You'll be set.

If you're really from IL, I'm sure there is a WalMart somewhere, or even a LFS or something.

You don't have a store anywhere close there? Just go to the Walmart and get a Tetra 10 gallon setup for $60 and some gravel and a few ornaments. You'll be set.

If you're really from IL, I'm sure there is a WalMart somewhere, or even a LFS or something.
God Iā€™m so stupid. Idk why I didnā€™t think of this... Mustā€™ve been too nervous to think straight. Well I just got back from a local gas station because there are no other stores within drivable distance around me still open at 1 AM. At the Gas station I bought this really really ugly but viable 15 gallon black storage container for like 8.99. I put some media and fritz in it as well as some plants so that his bioload could be safely handled until the BB is ready. What is the minimal size of the tanks for these guys? I took back my previous order so Iā€™m in the store for a new tank...Iā€™m basically out of room for anything more than a 5 gal in my room and Iā€™ve seen somewhere that it should be enough. Iā€™m still gonna ask around though just for that extra reassurance. Thanks man you saved me when I went brain dead for a bit.

You could get a 5 gal. Sterilite plastic tote, put a sponge filter and hornwort or any floating plant, light and heater. The pea puffer will not make it in a 0.5 gal jar.
Got it, I keep seeing 5 gall so I think Itā€™s safe to assume that this is the bare minimum for a single DP. I may just try driving around tm or wait until the dollar per gal sale. All the big chain pet stores and such are just soooo far away.

Yes, I would not put a pea puffer in less than 5 gal. One of mine is in a 3 gal. long and I do 2 x 75% water changes and gravel vacuum per week. It takes effort to keep them happy, but they are worth it. Make sure it is heavily planted as they are curious little bits and love to explore. These are my pea puffer tanks for reference. Feel free to ask if you need more info.

Attachments

• 1610782174162.png
    1610782174162.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 46
  • 1610782222027.png
    1610782222027.png
    63.1 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Holyyyy, Iā€™m so jealous... Your plants look so luscious. Whatā€™s that massive snail?!? I donā€™t think Iā€™ve ever seen one that big! Water changes are a huge pain but I do like interacting with my fish so I donā€™t really mind them. However, despite this I will always try to prioritize my fishā€™s well-being and therefore I just finished putting in an order for a new 5 gallon tank. I donā€™t think I need to buy a heater because my house has a constant temperature of 68-72. Also, are your tanks low-tech or are there CO2 injections and/or ferts involved? Your tanks are absolutely stunning man!!!

Thank you! Tanks are low tech. You may consider a heater since pea puffers like temps closer to 78F. The snail is a mystery snail, but he moved to another tank because Miss Ethel (pea puffer) turned his foot into a doily with her mighty 3/4" fierceness. Snail is about five times her size, mind you... She is in the middle of the picture of the square tank, and this is her close up, next to the snail:

1610783728198.png

Plants are doing well, and I am at a point where I do not fertilize often since the pea puffer and snails provide enough waste to fertilize them.

Last edited:
Thank you! Tanks are low tech. You may consider a heater since pea puffers like temps closer to 78F. The snail is a mystery snail, but he moved to another tank because Miss Ethel (pea puffer) turned his foot into a doily with her mighty 3/4" fierceness. Snail is about five times her size, mind you... She is in the middle of the picture, and this is her close up, next to the snail:

View attachment 126869

Plants are doing well, and I am at a point where I do not fertilize often since the pea puffer and snails provide enough waste to fertilize them.
Thatā€™s mind boggling... Is the centerpiece the snail or the puffer? Thatā€™s the mother of all snailkind. Iā€™ll invest in a heater then if itā€™ll positively impact my puffer ā€œAngry Midgetā€. Also, could I ask what the floating plant you have is? I canā€™t tell whether itā€™s frogbit or maybe dwarf water lettuce. I am planning on purchasing some more dwarf water lettuce because I accidentally left them out for a few days without realizing and lost most of them. Also I was wondering whether you keep a lid or not?

The puffer, of course ;)

This will take to images and descriptions of my tanks if you are interested.

The floating plants are duckweed and hornwort. Yes, I keep a lid. It helps maintain the temperature, slows down loss of volume due to evaporation, and mystery snails are escape artists.

I like the name "Angry Midget" :good:

Most reactions

Back