Partial aquascaping for dummies

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Fox46

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Upgrading one of my tanks shortly. I'm the first to admit that I simply don't 'have it' so far as keeping aquatic plants is concerned. My regime is daily 6 hours light, weekly TNC Complete and weekly Flourish Excel but no substrate rooted plants apart from Vallisneria and (finally) Amazon Sword seem to flourish. (Not even Hygrophilia 53b). For this reason I've favoured epiphytes which have the advantage of being easily removed for trimming/cleaning/maintenance etc and replaced as necessary. So in the new tank I'm thinking of having just two 'planted corners' (because I will keep trying) but the rest will be rock/bogwood tied plants. I don't want to put an entire layer of plant substrate beneath my planned pale sand substrate, because it looks messy when it comes through and there's no point in going to that expense if I'm not planting in it. So is there anything wrong with just putting the plant substrate in two corners, maybe a containing strip to stop it spreading, and covering the whole lot with my preferred pale sand?

First of all, aquascaping can only be limited by your imagination, *as long as it is not harming the plants or se creatures living there*

Second of all, that sounds like a great idea to me!!! :p:lol:!! I am relatively new to aquascaping but I am VERY GOOD WITH *pretty much* ALL PLANTS, and I can envision that tank to look awesome :)

Good Luck! ;)

A Fish Named Sue

I have no practical experience with aquarium plants, but I wonder if root tabs may serve your purposes better than planted substrate? That way you don't have to worry as much about the two substrates mixing etc, as long as you remember to replace the root tabs every now and then?

First of all, aquascaping can only be limited by your imagination, *as long as it is not harming the plants or se creatures living there*

Second of all, that sounds like a great idea to me!!! :p:lol:!! I am relatively new to aquascaping but I am VERY GOOD WITH *pretty much* ALL PLANTS, and I can envision that tank to look awesome :)

Good Luck! ;)

A Fish Named Sue
Aww thanks for that encouragement! :) You're lucky to have no problems with your plants. I think I've probably spent more money replacing plants than I have acquiring fish. And it's strange 'cos I'm good with gardening and propagating both plants and vegetables. Just not when they're in water.

I have no practical experience with aquarium plants, but I wonder if root tabs may serve your purposes better than planted substrate? That way you don't have to worry as much about the two substrates mixing etc, as long as you remember to replace the root tabs every now and then?
When I started fishkeeping earlier this year my first tank (the one I'm now upgrading) was a 60l and I just put sand in, with no substrate. When plants began to fail and drift out of the sand I realised my mistake but it was too late to remedy the situation. So I used root tabs to try to provide the nutrients they needed and accepted that they wouldn't be too well anchored without the substrate. Only the Amazon Sword survived, and that was still a sorry melted mess up until I started TNC Complete. Now, despite only being in sand, it's probably the healthiest plant I've got. So yes, root tabs certainly work, and I've just bought some more which I now plan to use in all my tanks since the plant substrate and adding ferts to the water don't seem to be doing the trick. Thanks for the advice.

Great to hear that you're persevering because you will definitely get there!
No need for planting substrate (unless you already have some) as root tabs will feed the plants and can be easily replenished when necessary. Have 1 1/2 to 2 inches of substrate to allow roots space. Added benefit is that you can add plants with tabs to other areas once you have built up confidence. But don't get cheap ones, they can add to nitrates and algae problems. I recommend Seachem Flourish Tabs.
Liquid fertiliser is also useful, the TNC already mentioned (lite unless you are short of nitrogen, phosphate and potassium -most water supplies plenty) or Seachem Flourish comprehensive. It helps with plants that feed through the leaves or floating plants which have great benefits for the fish and water quality. Most of us use half the dose.
Given your success with Vals and swords I think you will do well with Cryptocorynes as they have similar needs. They are very attractive and have quite a few varieties.
Finally, watch carefully if you need to add medications or salt as these can effect the plants, crypts don't tolerate huge (80/90%) water changes either.
Good luck!

Thanks for that advice. I'll have a look at the crypto. I've tended to stick with java fern, java moss and several species of anubia so it would be great to introduce something new. I didn't do too well with the buceph... but it was a very small plant, despite it being just about the most expensive thing I bought. I tend to medicate outside the main tank, either bath or the 25l hospital tank. Water balance has been too grimly fought for to risk it. I've got some TNC lite just in case. I've tended to take the view that plant substrate anchors the plants, but to be honest even in the tanks that have a bottom layer of substrate I still seem to spend a lot of time re-rooting plants that I find drifting. Even trying to anchor with a lead tape 'collar' hasn't been very successful. I won't give up just yet.

weekly Flourish Excel
Just to warn you - Excel and similar liquid CO2 products contain glutaraldehyde which is a powerful disinfectant used, amongst other things, for sterilising surgical equipment and in embalming fluid. Even a slight overdose can kill some plants. Most people regard it as something that should not be used in an aquarium which has fish.
A low-tech tank has enough CO2 from the fish 'breathing' it out and the bacteria in the substrate break down to debris to CO2. it's high-tech plants which need added CO2. The plants you've had up to now are all low tech - and any plant labelled as 'easy' doesn't need CO2.

Thanks. It seems to have solved my algae problem and kept it under control but I'm cautious. I'd never use it in the quantities it says on the bottle. Like every other day!

Most reactions

trending

Back