Parrots behaving strange

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

j_n_c

Reaction score
I have 3 parrot fish 2 of which are acting strangely digging a hole in the sand at the bottom of the tank and seem quite lively (they dont usually) i dont spose anyone knows if there's a reason for this?

oh right. im not sure if they are blood parrots they're sort of orange really why cant they breed ???????????

Because blood parrots are hybrids and are usually sterile because they've been so inbred. There was another thread on parrot fish in the hybrid forum which you might find interesting.

ok thanks a lot i spose orange parrots are blood parrots then

glolite said:
Because blood parrots are hybrids and are usually sterile because they've been so inbred. There was another thread on parrot fish in the hybrid forum which you might find interesting.
Uh... they're sterile because they're hybrids, not because they're inbred... Inbreeding is breeding the animal back to their kin, whereas hybridization is breeding two different species together.

pica_nuttalli said:
Shark_Lover said:
never know someday we'll make fish that aren't sterile. :)
but not blood parrots. breeding blood parrots is only slightly more likely than breeding mules.
Fry from a fertile female are fertile if I'm not mistaken... and there are fertile females out there, they're just extremely rare at the moment. In my opinion, it's entirely possible we'll be seeing fertile strains of bloodparrots out there in the future, assuming interest in them doesn't die down before then.

Females are (sometimes) fertile, males are not.

That's how you get Jellybean Parrots, breed a female blood with a male convict.

SirMinion said:
Females are (sometimes) fertile, males are not.

That's how you get Jellybean Parrots, breed a female blood with a male convict.
Whoops, guess I sorta got that confused in my head :*)
Pretend that I said male in all the spots I said female, and the message will be decoded!

In other words, there are fertile MALES floating around, but they are few and far between. Genetics can be so strange like that... even when hybrids between two species are usually infertile, every now and then things line up exactly right and you end up with a fertile hybrid.

But it's unlikely to happen. It may even be missed when/if it does.
BTW, fertile mules/hinnies have actualy been produced :p They are just extremely rare.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back