parrot fish

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Discus

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
do parrott fish go well with other fish I like the look of them :hyper: and was told they can ether be vicious or really peaceful is this true :nod:

OOOOO!!!!! , Maybe this should go to the new hybrid forum .

To better answer the question , that is if Discus means parrot cichlids .

Discus said:
do parrott fish go well with other fish I like the look of them :hyper: and was told they can ether be vicious or really peaceful is this true :nod:

What fish are you thinking about keeping them with?

I'd say they are best kept in a large tank with other New World cichlids, such as a firemouths or convicts.

I've heard stories of them turning vicious as they age. Mine is tiny, so I couldn't really tell you from experience.

EDIT: I should read what I post. :*)

cometcattle said:
I'd say they are best kept in a large tank with other New World cichlids, such as a firemouths or firemouths.
Hee hee. Sorry, that was funny.

As for the parrots I have no idea cause I have no personal experience with them but I believe they are too slow to be much of a threat to other NW cichlids. If anything, they would be the ones at risk.

They seem to get along with Pearl danios...although mine are very timid then some i see at pet stores..They were harrazed by a native bass in my old tank..They are aggresive but not to aggresive, i would think THhat dwarf groumis or rams would do could or the faster species of fish... :D

Ive heard talk of these fellows run the whole gammut and I guess that is to be expected of any hybrid. Two seperate endocrine systems blended together might Have some unforseen effect. What I do hear consistantly is that they are cichlids; and like other cichlids they will occasionally eat a small fish here and there. Something to keep in mind.

yeh

they can be kept with larger new world cichlids, such as the firemouth, convict,JD and such others like that :nod:

dwarf_dude said:
yeh

they can be kept with larger new world cichlids, such as the firemouth, convict,JD and such others like that :nod:
agree with That.

Rule Number 1, most Important.

Do not keep them with any fish that has been used in their Hybridization.

and no Cichlids.

They will Terorize Timid Species of Fish - Bad Experience with George the China.
They will Tolerate other Semi- Aggressive fast fish that can swim away.

Make sure they have Gravel and Some Rocks to push around and As Suggested a Ping Pong Ball to push around the Tank.

JHTH

psgill00 said:
Rule Number 1, most Important.

Do not keep them with any fish that has been used in their Hybridization.
Hi psgill00 :)

Why is that? :dunno:

because they will breed with other hybrids making a very weak fish that probably wont last long and it causes other problems that i cant think of right now :lol:

My older BP is starting to become more territorial and aggressive with age. As with any large cichlid, but he does have a mouth deformity and therefore can do little to no harm :sad: :X

From my experience, if you have blood parrots in with other aggressive fish they will fight to NO end! :nod: They are sort of a "Pick on all" type of fish. My older one is very aggressive when it comes to feeding time, especially sinking foods. He spends SO much time running the others away that he misses out on the foodd :alien:

IME they should be kept with fast fish that "swim away!...swim away".........

Finding Nemo quote there people.....for all who didn't get it! :p

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back