Parrot Fish, Black Patches

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Reaction score
Hello, My mum keeps fish and recently black patches,spots, marks have appeared on two of her parrot fish, All the 4 fish in the tank are acting normally. I am unsure whether it is a dominance display or disease or just natural? any ideas?
I would upload a picture however I am not nearby

Tank size: 4ft 30 gallons
pH: around 8
ammonia: unsure
nitrite:Unsure
nitrate:Unsure
kH: Unsure
gH: Unsure
tank temp: 27

Sorry I am unable to measure the ammonia nitrite ect due to the distance

thank you for the help

Greg

a 30 gallon tank is WAY too small for 4 parrot fish! these fish grow huge and are massive waste producers - for 4 parrot fish you need atleast a 55 gallon tank....better off with a 75.

a 30 gallon is ok for one....but not four!

I seriously recommend either rehoming three or getting a larger tank.

parrot fish specifically suffer from a disease called "Black Spot" - - black spots/shadowing appearing on a parrot fish indicate stress and poor water quality.

Black patches are ammonia burns that are healing.
Get your water tested.

I agree with the above poster.

thank you for the advice, i agree, will need to convince my mum to re home them, until then more water changes? what else can help? as im not sure she will be able to re home them strait away

Cheers Greg

def more water changes....multiple small ones are better than few large ones! - - but while their scales may color back to a normal shade temporarily....they will all become greatly ill if kept under such conditions. I have ONE parrot in a 35 gallon with no other fish but ACF (not recommended for others unless they have a lot of experience with ACF!!!!)

I also have two filters on my tank - one external HOB (hangs on the back) for 40 gallons, and one internal filter for 30 gallons. I still perform weekly water changes and test my water every few days. Due to them still being "juveniles" this is fine for the time being....but I will soon be looking into a 50-75 gallon HOB to run instead of the 40 gallon.

just to give you a hint of the waste they can produce.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back