Parrot cichlids

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

guppymonkey

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Are parrot cichlids considered community cichlids? Or are they too aggressive. I am not sure what they are a hybrid of because I have heard so many different versions of the story. Some people say Red Devil/Severum and I have heard others as well. I am trying to set up a New World cichlid tank and was considering adding a parrot but since I heard they are half red devil I thought they might be too aggressive.

Also, how do you sex parrot cichlids? Is it the normal longer, more pointed fins on males that a lot of cichlids are distinguished by? Will parrots cross breed with severum?

They can be agressive but they can also be housed with a number of cichlids. Ive had mine with heaps of differnt cichlids including oscars sevs, cons + more. As for them breeding with sevs ive never heard of this before.

i heard they would breed with cons. :nod: although im not entirely sure

but definite no for community fish, they would do well with the fish Vip mentioned befpre

They can be kept with cories, because if they eat cories, they die.
They can catch fast stuff, so no small dithers. My small ones caught and killed danios and ghost shrimp.

dood you live in prtland, I live in salem. man what a quincedence.

Daveo

Mine is in a community tank. The other communtiy fish are almost as big or bigger than the parrot cichlid, so it's ok. Do not put any signifigantly smaller fish in with the parrot cichlid though.

Most reactions

trending

Back