Paratilapia Polleni Advice

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

pbase5583

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have a one inch paratilapia polleni. I know how to take care of him just found out what he is for a month. Any thing special about them? I bought him and some people say they are rare, others common. Right now i have him in my 65 gallon with asian needle nose gar, black ghost knife fish, an angelfish, 4 rainbowfish, 1 electric blue crayfish. He is said to triple in size in a year, i might get a bigger tank specifically for him and other larger fish, but if he isnt hard to obtain then forget it. I am going to get a bigger tank anyway just wondering.

Not a African mainland fish, native to the island of Madagascar off the east coast.

I'm not familiar really so until another comes along I give you this link

large fish, up to 11" and a predator in nature it seems.
A endangered species in the wild ?? In forum link here
wish I was of more help but great looking fish

yea i went to new world, they said post here, but should i keep him or will he eat my fish, i like him but hes peaceful so i dont see him eating anyone

yea i went to new world, they said post here, but should i keep him or will he eat my fish, i like him but hes peaceful so i dont see him eating anyone
From the reading I have been doing since seeing your post should grow fairly slow, at least compared to something like an Oscar.
Peaceful until that one day :blink: , risk you take on your own accord I would say.

I like the fish just don't know much about that one.
And yes I would imagine this would be the forum for it. I'm going to go out on a limb and say yes, not real common.

ok just wondering, and since your awesome at info on this by research :rolleyes: could you tell me potential tankmates and tanksize when he is big, im thinking 90 or 120 right now is 65 gallon, and he is sooooo tiny and if any of my fish could be good with him, i think my gar could be good with him, if not an oscar and maybe a bigger gar, or clown knife fish

ok just wondering, and since your awesome at info on this by research :rolleyes: could you tell me potential tankmates and tanksize when he is big, im thinking 90 or 120 right now is 65 gallon, and he is sooooo tiny and if any of my fish could be good with him, i think my gar could be good with him, if not an oscar and maybe a bigger gar, or clown knife fish
Couldn't answer that really and feel good about it. Your talking mixing continents and I would normally say no, but this one is refereed to as one of the most adaptable in the seriously fish link... I just truly cant give that advice given my limited to research responses.
I'm thinking treat him like the African version of an Oscar. tank almost of his own realy.
He will get HUGE. I just really don't know and am interested as to the real disposition of this fine fish

ok thanks, i think a peacock bass, or something large, i will just treat him as an oscar. If i get other fish put them in first, so he cant make the tank his. I am thinking clown knife or oscar, maybe a big gar, i just saw him in this 4 gallon tank and thought 20$ was a little high but he looked cool, i kept him in 10 gallon for 2 weeks before my 65 gallon for the sole reason that he could get eaten by my gar, btw No one seems to find asian needle nose gars anymore, but i bought mine 3 months ago and i havent seen any either.

Most reactions

trending

Back