Parasite Or Something? Tank Is Not Looking Good.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

qball922

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
I've recently been posting on another forum and not a single person could give me the answer I was looking for. I want to keep this short cuz no one likes a novel. So lately my fish have been showing signs of some kind of parasite. Flashing against rocks, reddened gills, separation from group, and some lethargy. My tank is a 40 long with 2 kribensis, 2 bleeding heart tetras, 6 tiger barbs, 1 rainbow shark, 1 paradise fish, and 1 zebra loach. I treated the tank maybe a week ago with API's general parasite meds to no avail. my fish still flash on rocks and such, and just show overall discomfort. Ammonia is 0, ph is questionable cuz my test strips are awful, but I doubt its far from 7. Temp is around 79. My barbs constantly flash against rocks and driftwood, my zebra loach flashes against the sand occasionally, and my rainbow shark also flashes every once and a while. Just about an hour ago one of my barbs isolated itself in a corner and is headstanding not moving whatsoever. I have a microscope, but my fish are far too small to get a reasonable amount of mucus to observe. I have a video of the issue too if someone would like me to post it.....after all that it turned into a novel. ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED. Idk where to turn at this point cuz my fish are taking a turn for the worst.

Have you tested your water for nitrite and/or nitrate?

Headstanding in tiger barbs is a classic symptom of nitrite intoxication/poisoning.

How long has your tank been set up?

Also any photos or video you can provide is often a help to isolating the cause.

How often do you do water changes and how large are they when you do?

i agree with wanting pictures. The two most common causes of what you describe are ich, which should be clearly evident if it is the issue, it looks like grains of salt stuck all over the fish. Next is "Velvet, Rust - Gold Dust Disease (this is either Oodinium pilularis or Oodinium limneticum)".

Protozoan Diseases

Velvet, Rust - Gold Dust Disease (this is either Oodinium pilularis or Oodinium limneticum)
Symptoms: Peppery coating giving a yellow to light brown "dust" on body, clamped fins, respiratory distress (breathing hard as seen as frequent or quick gill movements), cloudiness of eyes, and glancing off decor or substrate, possible weight loss.

Velvet disease in freshwater fish is caused by either Oodinium pilularis or Oodinium limneticum, which are parasitic skin flagellates. This parasite swims in the aquarium until it finds a fish host and adheres to it.
  • In Oodinium pilularis (as well as with "Ich" Ichthyophthirius multifiliis) it eats into the cells of the epithelial layer of the skin and fins as well as through the mucous membrane in the mouth. The mature parasite then leaves the host and drops to the bottom of the aquarium or plants. It then forms a cyst that divides, forming between 34 - 64 new cells, then bursts freeing the new cells into the aquarium to find a fish host.
  • Oodinium limneticum is similar, but attacks the fish’s skin and fins rather than burrowing under the epithelial layer, so it is localized right on the surface. It also multiplies on the host rather than at the bottom of the aquarium or on the plants.
This disease has the appearance of a golden or brownish dust over the fins and body. The fish may show signs of irritation, like glancing off aquarium decor, shortage of breath (fish-wise), and clamping of the fins. The gills are usually the first thing affected. Velvet affects different species in different ways. Danios seem to be the most susceptible, but often show no discomfort. This disease is highly contagious and fatal.
from http://animal-world.com/encyclo/fresh/information/Diseases.htm#VelvetRust

I doubt it is nitrite as this should affect most to all of the fish.

There are other things (including external parasites) that might make fish flash against things, so good clear pictures would be a great help here.

I unfortunately do not have a nitrite or nitrate test kit. One is getting shipped to me tomorrow. I doubt that's the issue, my tank has been fully set up for about 6 months now. Fully cycled and all. I do weekly water changes of about 20%. This includes a full sweep of the substrate with my syphon to get any excess waste, but I make sure not to disturb my ornaments and decorations as to not disrupt any beneficial bacteria growing on them. My barbs usually never headstand, and this is the first time ive seen my barb do this since they've contracted this illness. My fish show minimal lethargy, eat well, are playful, and for the most part seem healthy. They just flash against decorations, and show some obvious signs of parasitic infestation. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1tcSdjvfbk here is the video. I was told by someone at my LFS that pH fluctuations may cause barbs to flash, but my rainbow shark AND zebra loach flash occasionally.

:36 - First close up shot of bleeding hearts (look at gills, possibly irritated and red, or just BHT normal gill color?
1:16 - First tiger barb "flash" or scratch on rock.
2:33 - Close up of tiger barbs
2:45 - Zebra loach close up
3:10 - Another close up of barbs and bleeding heart
3:40 - Second zebra loach close up
7:53 - Second tiger barb flash, 2 do it this time

Also, do some of my barbs look slightly bloated? This illness is kicking my butt....very difficult to pinpoint.

Ill post some clear pictures in a few minutes. I have to get my truck from the repair shop, and then I'll take some pics! Hopefully the video helps in the meantime.

The photos were too large to upload onto here, so I uploaded them to mediafire. Heres the link to them http://www.mediafire.com/folder/bob9v4jpa3cdf8s,3u0sgsuzv2osabo,d5b4t2ldnc235aa,9d48a8mii45h9f0,te2be73w733fg3z,j1h4l1jf9znztj3/shared

Thanks in advance, much appreciated.

EDIT: The more I look at the last photo of my rainbow shark (with camera flash on), the more I think it's velvet. He has a sparkly coating over him, but idk ive never dealt with velvet before. Also in the first photo where the tiger barb is blurry he also looks as though he has a sparkly coating. Could be just his scales, but again ive never dealt with velvet.

For what it is worth I have watched the vid through. I have stopped it and replayed parts. I looked for the flashing you say happened as well. I looked at in high def and full screen.

I saw no flashing really. The first instance it appears the fish darted after a morsel to eat. Watch it right after. What you saw as flashing, I saw a food picking. I saw nothing at 7:53.

Here is what I did see that concerned me. First, two of the tigers look really plump. I think they may have problems either with constipation or something else causing them to be plugged up. Have you seen them poop and if so how did it look? It is rare that swim bladder problems are actually caused buy something directly affecting the baldder. Rather being constipated or having an internal infection, with the inflamation that goes with it, can create pressure on the bladder which causes the observed symptom of balance issues that occur.

Second, the loach looked to be underweight to me, it should be more robust. Check the photo here http://www.loaches.com/species-index/botia-histronica

I do not think your fish have external parasites. Internal ones could be causing the loach to be skinny. Internal ones might be affecting the fat barbs, but there are other things more often the cause of swim bladder symptoms than parasites. Constipation and the fish stops pooping, internal parasites and the fish usually makes white stringy poops which makes those two thing easy to spot. After these two things, I think internal infection next.

You will have to decide how you want to try to treat the fish. If you go for constipation then Epsom salt is a good shot. If you want to treat for internal parasites, you will need meds.

Just saw the stills- fish seem OK. The loach looks better colorwise, but still not robust. The API general cure would work better here being fed via making medicated food. The metronidazole really needs to be inside the fish rether than in the water. I might try yreating with Flubendazole or Levamisole HCL as well for internal parasites, epecially for fish not eating.

If the problem is an internal infection with the barbs, it would need antibiotics.

TwoTankAmin said:
For what it is worth I have watched the vid through. I have stopped it and replayed parts. i looked for the flashing you say happened as well.

I saw no flashing really. The first instance it appeares the fish darted after a morsel to eat, watch it right after what yo this wa flashing and I saw a food oicking. I saw nothing at 7:53.

Here is what I did see that concerned me. First, two of the tigers look really plump. I think they may have problems either with constipation or something else causing them to be plugged up. Have you seen them poop and if so how did it look? It is rare that swim bladder problems are actually caused buy something firectly affecting the baldder. Rather being constipated or having an internal infection with the inflamation that goes with it create pressure on the bladder which causes the observed symptom of balance issues that become manifest.

Second, the loach looked to be underweight to me, Ii should be more robust Check the photo here http://www.loaches.com/species-index/botia-histronica
The first fish that you say darted for food may not have flashed against the intake(I wasn't paying close attention, and kind of assumed), but I assure you the second fish just a few moments after that definitely flashes against the connection between intake tube and intake baffle. I agree that my barbs are very plump, but ive tried not feeding them, and feeding them blanched peas. Never got them to a normal size with either attempt. Also the headstanding and possible swim bladder issues haven't occurred until today when the one barb was isolated. Until now I have never seen that behavior. They've been quite plump for some time now, and I didn't find it to be an issue. They have no problems swimming, and at this point I think he may have isolated himself and headstanded to rest (I see them in the same position when they sleep) especially because he was amongst the long plants where they always sleep. As for my zebra loach being underweight, I guess youre right. I always thought that was normal size, and I always see him scavenging for food! I hide sinking wafers all over my tank (so the barbs don't get them) for my kribs, rainbow shark, and loach. Perhaps hes not getting enough? what kind of diet do you recommend?

EDIT: the flashing im talking about is actually slightly after 7:53

Well loaches like to be in groups so im thinking hes lonely/shy as he is alone. If you need to add medication i would becareful as the loach will be rather sensitive to it.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back