Paralyzed platy

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Lily456

Reaction score
I have this platy who seems to be paralyzed from his front fins back. Heā€™s pretty old, I got him from my aunt because all her other fish died except him and a giant pleco. and she was out of town a lot and didnā€™t notice this guy was having issues (or even alive) so I took him with me. He canā€™t move his tail at all, still swims around using the front two fins, still eats plenty. He used to just sit at the bottom of the tank and barely move at all except to eat, but I got 2 other platys for him and now he actually swims around (still with only the front fins) and is always like heā€™s standing upright, has no control at all over his back half. I donā€™t know what my aunts water conditions were in the old tank. But in the tank I have him in now itā€™s at 0ammonia, 0nitrites, 10nitrates and about a 7.4 ph. Heā€™s in with my other fish now after being quarantined for a couple weeks. He has definitely improved since I got him but Iā€™m wondering if this is just old age and heā€™s just less depressed now(heā€™s about 4 years old I think) or if itā€™s a disease of some sort. Iā€™ve had him for about 2 weeks. (Just put him in my DT today)

even though heā€™s shown some improvement? I feel bad for the little guy but Iā€™d hate to just put him down if thereā€™s a chance of him being normal again..

You may be right. I think I will wait it out just a little bit longer to see if he continues to improve, or if he stays how he is now. He doesnā€™t appear to be suffering, especially compared to how he was when I first got him. So I just want to be sure Iā€™m doing the right thing.

Thank you, and yeah I figured so.. was just hoping nature would take care of it so I wouldnā€™t have to be the one:/ I hate to think that he is suffering. Thanks for the advice, I will be thinking this over and planning what the best way would be.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back