Paralysed Black Moor?

SamUK

Fish Aficionado
Reaction score
Addingham, West Yorks (Near Leeds/Bradford)
Ive got 4 small (ish) goldfish and 2 black moors in my 55 gallon and after watching 5 of them tear around after one of the blackmoors ive come to the conclusion that shes female and there all male.

anyway, the chasing only happened for a couple of hours after the weekly water changes (guessing the coldwater made em horny lol) but the sunday before last they really tired her out and i found her sat between 2 rocks not moving much.

ive taken her out and shes in my 8 gallon to recover but she doesnt seem to be getting any better.

she used to get constipated alot (think thats what it was) and has never really swam around alot but now shes nearly face down most of the time and doesnt seem to move her back fins when she swims.

i think shes jus a runt or something like that because her tails a bit short too but thought id check to see if theres anything i could do to help her?

she doesnt seem distressed or anything. jus not so good at swimming around.

I think for now just keep an eye on her and make sure you check the ammonia regularly.

If the water is cold then raise the temperature a little bit to around 20-22c as this will help with anything internal such as food or egg impaction. Starve her for a day and then give her a shelled cut up boiled pea.

Also adding a teaspoon of aquarium salt per gallon will help with any stress.

Give her a day or two to recover as head standing is a sign of a worn out fish.
If no better or she gets worse then post back and we will see what else we can try.

might want to try seperating them permenantly, though, because if she's female as you assume, it's only going to keep happening. Plus fancies don't really mix well with common goldfish. They're much slower and more docile.

good luck getting her better :good: hopefully she's just tired and stressed.

oh -lol- i just assumed since you distinguished between "goldfish" and "black moor".

well hopefully she continues to get better. These fish that are susceptible to swim bladder can get it just from being really stressed and tired out. Both my DTs (though luckily neither of my goldies yet) have gotten swimbladder by flaring too much at the opposite gender, but given a reduced water level and a dark place with something to hide under they came around.

well i did ID them once but i cant remember the names now :X

the female black moor is the one lowest down but this pic shows the whole gang.

P1010472.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back