Paradise Gourami with a Rainbow Shark Fish

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Natalie Bacher

Reaction score
Ok so I have had a 29 gallon tank set up for over a year now. One of the first fish I feel in love with as did my husband was the Rainbow Shark Fish!! They had them at Walmart and they were maybe a inch big. Later I added more random fish such as Mollies to find that they are more aggressive! So I just took them back.. Needless to say we ended up with several species that we have today but the rarest combination is the Paradise Gourami and my Rainbow Shark Fish... now the Paradise Gourami was introduced to the tank approximately 4-5 months after are Shark and I don’t know if it’s because I have a longer not a tall version of the 29 gallon tank but they get along just fine and every expert has told me how horrible of a idea it is but they were to beautiful for me to not try and I have Not ever had any problems and I vacuum the tank once a week into a 3 gallon bucket getting all the bad off the bottom and add back distilled water and everything is fine I have 7 different fish from Red barbs, corys, also swordfish tail one , more a rasbora and tetra the Gourami and the Shark we lost a tetra that’s it... was a neon one if their injected with color waste of money and just dirtier your tank is !! Yuck never again but that’s my unprofessional experience at my home

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

If you are using distilled water for the aquarium, you should avoid keeping livebearers like mollies, guppies, platies and swordtails. These fish come from water that contains lots of minerals and has a general hardness (GH) of about 200-250ppm.

Distilled water has 0 GH and is not suitable for them.

Tetras and gouramis are fine in soft water with a low GH. However, the pH can drop suddenly because there are no minerals in the water to buffer the pH. If you use distilled water, it's a good idea to add a bit of carbonate hardness (KH) to stabilise the pH. One way of doing this is to add some shells, limestone, dead coral skeleton to the tank or filter. These are all made from calcium carbonate and will help buffer the pH. You don't need a lot, you just add enough to stop the pH from dropping.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back