Paradise Fish?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

LyraGuppi

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Hmm...recently my fish/pet store has been getting in albino paradise fish. I am smitten, even without their colors. What is the min. tank size for these guys?
I could request the normal ones.
I've learned they only grow to 3 inches, is this true :eek: ? They always seen bigger IRL.
How do you sex them, and could they live together?

Sorry if I sound like a little kid, I've just been looking all over the place for these guys! :lol:

Males have Slightly longer fins and are more colourful. Females more  plumper it is best to keep a pair. males will fight and can end up with damaged fins. I keep one adult pair to each 10 gallon tank  A pic of breeding pair of black paradise fish  IMG_2404 (640x480).jpg

Just as fish48 said, male Paradise Fish have longer fins and they're more colorful.  Both can be aggressive but the females aren't nearly as bad.  I had a single female in a 36 gallon tank with assorted Gouramis, Cherry Barbs & Glass Catfish and she "spread out her aggression" on all of them!  Nobody got hurt............

I wouldn't recommend a pair of these in a 10 gallon though, I'd think a single male or female would be fine in a 10 gallon depending on what other tank mates you have.  A 20 gallon would be good for a pair, preferably a 20 Long rather than a 20 High due to the larger footprint.

i mention  keeping a pair in a 10 gallon i keep only the one pair no tank mates, plenty of plant cover. males can get aggressive at breeding time . A larger tank is always better for any fish

red type male   there nice looking fish  colour don't look good as a photo
IMG_3836 (640x480) (2) - Copy.jpg  

Nice fish!  I like the highlighted tips on the fins.  I had a blue/red striped female that started out a wimp but as she grew so do her dominance and temper.  The other Gouramis were all much larger but she held her own.  

Oh, and I didn't mean to offend you by saying I think a 10 gallon would be too small. I was just going by my personal experience.  I only had a single female but I did have her for years, probably 3 or so.  She was cool and I'd get another one but I don't have a tank plan for that yet.  Maybe down the road I'll hook up a 20-40 gallon with a male and like 4 females and see what happens!  I don't stand for too much aggression in may tanks............it's all about balance for me.

Here's some pictures of "Banshee" my female Paradise:  (Note the 4 inch long female Pearl Gourami she's swimming with)

DSCN2305.jpg
DSCN2304.jpg

Are these ok for tropical, I always had it in my head these were cold water fish. Not sure where I got that from apart from seeing them in my LFS in the cold water section though.

They are tropical, probably put in coldwater because they are related to bettas, and...

"Bettas are fine in freezing water!" :lol:

Actually Paradise fish were some of the first fish that survived the extended travel time/ shipping back to England from Asia and then survived the English cold. So although they are considered to come from a "tropical" climate they are not strictly a warm water fish.

nice pic. i like the Pearl Gourami 

Although the Paradise i[SIZE=13.63636302948px]s considered to be tropical it has quite a wide temperature range of 60f-up to the high 70s I find they do well  keeping and breeding them at 70 to 76F [/SIZE]

fish48 said:
nice pic. i like the Pearl Gourami 

Although the Paradise i[SIZE=13.63636302948px]s considered to be tropical it has quite a wide temperature range of 60f-up to the high 70s I find they do well  keeping and breeding them at 70 to 76F [/SIZE]

Thanks, and you're def. correct in saying these fish can handle a wide variety of temps.  I seen them kept successfully with Goldfish!  Not that I would, but it can be done if the tank is large enough.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back