Paradise fish - reduce aggression

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Beastije

Fish Addict
Reaction score
News of paradise fish aggression are varied and seems like every keeper has had a different experience, which makes me wonder, if they are more or less individuals rather than an aggressive species as such.
I am wondering though, if it is better to just keep one paradise fish or to keep a trio. Mating behavior increases aggression but then again, wouldnt single male still want to breed and be more aggressive to another inhabitants, than they would if they had a female or two in the tank to focus on
What are your experiences or opinions? Thank you

I don't have any personal experience with Paradise fish although I think they're gorgeous! From my understanding though just like many gourami types, the males in particular are territorial and will fight for their space, so if you wanted 3 you'd house the male with 2 females. But unless you want to breed them, the male would be happy to live the single life in peace 🙄 my husband says us women are just a pain in the butt...but he can't even put the toilet seat down so what the heck does he know 🧐 Enjoy!

Macropodus opercularis is the species.

Compatibility/Temperament: Not a good community fish for the average aquarium. Smaller fish will be eaten, fins will be nipped, and any similar-looking fish will be attacked. Very aggressive with its own, males in breeding form will often kill rivals; females are less aggressive. Best kept as a pair on its own.

Behaviours are part of the genetic makeup of a species. We cannot ever change this. Why some individual fish may be less prone to adhere to the "norm" is one of those things we see in all animals including humans. With fish it is best to assume the fish will be normal, not abnormal. It can save a lot of grief, not to mention the poor fish that we force into the wrong environment.

Space has a lot to do with this too. Aggression is known to increase if the numbers of the species are not what the fish expect, or the tank size is not adequate for the species.

I understand the facts, but aren't behaviors of farm bred fish slightly different than wild caught ones? There are reports on bettas now being way milder than bettas of the past, some bettas now work as community fish and all depends on several factors.
At this moment my male paradise fish is in a 150l tank with corner filled with floating plants (that he lives under), but there are 20 golden white cloud minnows (body shape and color are different than the paradise).
I read.several reports how this fish works well and how it's aggression is exclusive to fish similar to it (like a betta) but ofcourse others reported massacres.
I am trying to reduce the chances of that by any means possible, that is why I am curious if adding females increases or decreases these odds

I understand the facts, but aren't behaviors of farm bred fish slightly different than wild caught ones?

No. The behaviours/expectations of a species is programmed into the DNA, it is the generic data for the species. This cannot be changed.

I already commented on how individual fish may be normal, or for various reasons not. Keeping a fish in an inappropriate environment, which means tank size, aquascape, and other species, can affect the fish detrimentally, causing it to not behave normally. Usually this exhibits itself in increased aggression, sometimes in lethargy. None of this is humane to the fish.

I had a male paradise fish with several zebrafish in my 10 gallons tank. I never had any problem with aggression. Unfortunately, when I suspected he was sick after I moved him to a basin, he committed suicide.

The 150 liters is a good size for having a paradise fish and other compatible tank mates. You can check more reading here.

My pair of M. spechti have their own 60l tank. They're meant to be slightly milder mannered than M. opercularis, but there's still some harrassment of the female if she goes near the (poorly built attempt at a) nest.

Currently I have a paradise fish and 2 croaking gouramis in a 50 litre quarantine tank. The tank has sand substrate, plants, rock and driftwood like my other tanks. The 3 fish have been there for nearly 2 weeks now. The paradise fish flares at its own reflection in the mirror just like a betta, but takes no notice of the other fish which are only about 2/3rd its size. The other 2 fish swim everywhere and pay no attention to the paradise. If it’s a peaceful coexistence, I might just keep them together, but I certainly won’t keep 2 paradise fish in the same tank.

Week one, so far no issues. Will continue to monitor for about a month and keep another tank ready. Also I suppose i need to pay attention in summer, as i understand that is when he may reach peak of mating behavior.

Attachments

• IMG-0958.jpg
    IMG-0958.jpg
    256.3 KB · Views: 22
Week two, still no issues. I even pipette fed some mosquito larvae, fish loves me now :) will name it once it pases the month mark

Attachments

• IMG-1012.JPG
    IMG-1012.JPG
    271.5 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG-0993.JPG
    IMG-0993.JPG
    218.9 KB · Views: 20
Week three also no issues, I watched three hillstream loaches sucking on glass near the paradise fish head, wiggling its fins, bumping into its body, zero reaction. Panda garra basically took some food out of its mouth, again, zero reaction.
Can you guys tell me at what temperature will the fish reach breeding conditions, the behavior might change then, at this point, the tank is 20°C and I read they breed in summer in warmer waters, so what, 24 perhaps? Thanks

Macropodus opercularis is the species.

Compatibility/Temperament: Not a good community fish for the average aquarium. Smaller fish will be eaten, fins will be nipped, and any similar-looking fish will be attacked. Very aggressive with its own, males in breeding form will often kill rivals; females are less aggressive. Best kept as a pair on its own.

Behaviours are part of the genetic makeup of a species. We cannot ever change this. Why some individual fish may be less prone to adhere to the "norm" is one of those things we see in all animals including humans. With fish it is best to assume the fish will be normal, not abnormal. It can save a lot of grief, not to mention the poor fish that we force into the wrong environment.

Space has a lot to do with this too. Aggression is known to increase if the numbers of the species are not what the fish expect, or the tank size is not adequate for the species.
I know this is a bit of an older thread, but I'm going to re-open it because I've been pondering this species. @Beastije , how are things doing?

@Byron , Do you have a source for the Compatibility/Temperament info you provided here? Just curious, as I too have found conflicting info about this species, even among reputable sites. I suspect it has a lot to do with how they are kept and how much room they are given, as you mentioned.

You make a good point about expecting fish to act normal. However, I believe that the OP was trying to determine what "normal" is for this species, as their normal behavior seems to vary widely depending on whom you ask. Seriouslyfish says that while similarly shaped fish should be avoided, it "can be maintained alongside peaceful, schooling species with comparable environmental requirements."

Domestication and other selective breeding can indeed alter the genetic makeup of a species, and thus its behavior. But whether this is the case with paradise fish, I don't know.

Most reactions

trending

Back