Paradise Fish questions and name!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Meg0000

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Hi, I had my Paradise fish for now 5 months and she still doesn't have a name so I need ideas!! I got very attached to this fish as weird as it can sound for some people, she's very curious and investigate every little things in her tank..:) I had a cory in this tank this week because it had severe amonia burn from the pet store and I knew it was gonna die so it was easier to remove the body from a 10 gallon than a 50 gallon:( She was very peaceful and really didn't care about it because the cory didn't fit in her mouth so I would like to know if there are enough big bottom dweller that she can't eat that could live with her in a 10 gallon? I also tought about maybe a bamboo shrimp, would that be a good idea? One last thing, paradise fish are supposed to love cooler water but when I raised the temperature she got even more intense color so I don't really understand
20° first picture
24° second picture

Attachments

• 20200321_175617.jpg
    20200321_175617.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 90
  • 20200403_162651.jpg
    20200403_162651.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 101
Last edited:
Maybe she got more vibrant from less stress when she settled in and the temp didnt affect her.

What about mystery snails? I think she may nip at otocinclus and I believe they should have at least 15 gallon tanks. But the snails are good

Maybe she got more vibrant from less stress when she settled in and the temp didnt affect her.

What about mystery snails? I think she may nip at otocinclus and I believe they should have at least 15 gallon tanks. But the snails are good
Right now she's back at 20° c water because my heater is broken and back to color of first pic. It's already in my plan to get one mystery snail or one rabbit snail but I was not sure about other tank mates :) I don't think paradise fish are nippy, at least mine is not they're more of an ambush predator.

Right now she's back at 20° c water because my heater is broken and back to color of first pic. It's already in my plan to get one mystery snail or one rabbit snail but I was not sure about other tank mates :) I don't think paradise fish are nippy, at least mine is not they're more of an ambush predator.
are paradise fish cichlids? she’s pretty- what country of origin? maybe a name from her origin? just sayin’. :)

are paradise fish cichlids? she’s pretty- what country of origin? maybe a name from her origin? just sayin’. :)
Paradise fish are anabantoid, they are more like a gourami. That's a good idea for the name, they are from Asia

The temperature range for Macropodus opercularis is 16-27C/61-80F. It will display its best colouration around 21-24C/70-75F. Or, just to mention it, the more intense colouration could be a stress reaction...Fish (and amphibians) possess specialized cells called melanophores that contain hundreds of melanin-filled pigment granules, termed melanosomes. The sole function of these cells is pigment aggregation in the center of the cell or dispersion throughout the cytoplasm, thus altering the shade of colour. The melanophore cells are themselves light sensitive and respond directly to light by melanosome translocations, which is why the fish’s colouration pales during total darkness. But the fish can also adjust the melanosomes voluntarily in response to environmental stimuli, stress, and social interactions.

As for tankmates...in my view, not in a 10g. Though having said that, substrate fish might be OK. The tank is not really large enough for shoaling fish like cories, except the dwarf species and I would not do that. Maybe one of the loricariids...a common Whiptail (Rineloricaria parva)?

The temperature range for Macropodus opercularis is 16-27C/61-80F. It will display its best colouration around 21-24C/70-75F. Or, just to mention it, the more intense colouration could be a stress reaction...Fish (and amphibians) possess specialized cells called melanophores that contain hundreds of melanin-filled pigment granules, termed melanosomes. The sole function of these cells is pigment aggregation in the center of the cell or dispersion throughout the cytoplasm, thus altering the shade of colour. The melanophore cells are themselves light sensitive and respond directly to light by melanosome translocations, which is why the fish’s colouration pales during total darkness. But the fish can also adjust the melanosomes voluntarily in response to environmental stimuli, stress, and social interactions.

As for tankmates...in my view, not in a 10g. Though having said that, substrate fish might be OK. The tank is not really large enough for shoaling fish like cories, except the dwarf species and I would not do that. Maybe one of the loricariids...a common Whiptail (Rineloricaria parva)?
Ok thank you, I will do more research on the Whiptail. You did not mentionned the bamboo shrimp so I assume it's a no?

Paradise Fish are great. You don't see them often enough. Easier to breed than Bettas and not so ornery as Bettas. Your pictures are awesome. Very nice fish. And about the temperature. . . . Fish don't always do what the books say they do.

Ok thank you, I will do more research on the Whiptail. You did not mentionned the bamboo shrimp so I assume it's a no?

I've never kept shrimp, but since crustaceans are a natural food for most tropical fish, and given the size of the Paradise Fish, I would expect shrimp to be nice meals!

I've never kept shrimp, but since crustaceans are a natural food for most tropical fish, and given the size of the Paradise Fish, I would expect shrimp to be nice meals!
Don't bamboo shrimp grow to about 3 inch? My paradise fish is only a little above 2 inch. I did a bit of research on the whiptail catfish but most site recommend at least a 15-20 gallon..

Don't bamboo shrimp grow to about 3 inch? My paradise fish is only a little above 2 inch. I did a bit of research on the whiptail catfish but most site recommend at least a 15-20 gallon..

Yes, in hindsight I wouldn't get a whiptail. Sorry, sometimes I try to suggest fish (get so tired of being negative even though it is usually what is relevant) but I didn't have my thinking cap straight. Paradise fish alone in a 10g, fine.

As I said, I've no experience with shrimp, but others may.

Paradise Fish are great. You don't see them often enough. Easier to breed than Bettas and not so ornery as Bettas. Your pictures are awesome. Very nice fish. And about the temperature. . . . Fish don't always do what the books say they do.
Thank you! That's true we don't see them really often but I really like them :)

Yes, in hindsight I wouldn't get a whiptail. Sorry, sometimes I try to suggest fish (get so tired of being negative even though it is usually what is relevant) but I didn't have my thinking cap straight. Paradise fish alone in a 10g, fine.

As I said, I've no experience with shrimp, but others may.
It's better to be negative than to lead people in the wrong way lol but I understand. I will keep it like that but get one mystery snail and one rabbit snail instead of one or the other

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back