Paradise Fish compatability with Barbs and Danios?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Tool13x

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have a 55 gallon planted tank that is currently stocked with Rosy Barbs, Odessa Barbs, Leopard Danios, Oto cats, and Zebra Loaches. Would I be able to put a Paradise fish or Dwarf Gouarami in there with the current stocking without any issues? I can relocate the Otos to another tank if need be. I am basically concerned about the campatability with Danios. Thanks.

The Paradise fish (Macropodus opercularis) is not a good community fish for the average aquarium. Smaller fish will be eaten, fins will be nipped, and any similar-looking fish will be attacked. It would be best kept as a pair on its own. While it might manage with medium-sized fast-swimming barbs and danios in larger tanks, this brings us to another issue...like all anabantids, the Paradise is a sedate fish and such fish are not good tankmates for fast swimmers like the danios and most barbs. I would not recommend this fish.

The Dwarf Gourami has the same sedate/active issue, plus it is not a healthy species unless you get the fish direct from the breeder. There are again better choices.

Given the fact that all the fish mentioned are active swimmers, any tankmates will have to be similar or they will be seriously stressed..

Thanks Byron, yes this is quite an active tank. Any recommendations for a fish that would be a better fit? I was just looking for something to add to act as kind of a showpiece. I have shoals of Danios and Barbs but I'd like to have a single or pair of unique fish in that tank. I used to have a Bolivian Ram in there but I relocated him to one of my South American tanks.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back