Panda Platy Going For The Light.

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Kevin8688

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hey guys I have my panda platy here that's fighting for his life :sad: . She is sorta clinging a little bit alive :-( . I was wondering if there is anything I could do to help her. The water parameters are all fine no 0.25 ammonia, 7 pH, 0 nitrite 40 nitrate. Could it be because of the ammonia? I've had this problem with another one of my panda platy. All my other platys and fish/shrimp are doing just fine nothing wrong eating perfectly :(. Any idea on what to do to her? I separated her she have an air stone in it not going to hard so it doesn't bother her to much. I tried putting a little food but she didn't eat it so I took it out so it doesn't dirty the water.

That ammonia reading in hard, warm water will result in dangerous ammonia ions (rather than safe ammonium), big water change (75-95%) would be my choice.

Can you explain a little bit more on that? I'll do the water change as soon as I get home.

Most "ammonia" test kits give you a colour that is affected by both ammonia and ammonium, it is ammonia ions that are the ones we need to protect our fish and critters from. The amount of these ions, rather than the safer ammonium is affected by how warm the water is and how alkaline the water is, higher on teh scale for either moves the balence towards the more dangerous ions.

So cold acidic water would be far safer for fish with a 0.25mg/l ammonia reading, rather than warm alkaline water, where the fish would be having a really hard time. There are tables out there on the internet that will show you the balance of ammonia and ammonium in different pH and temperature.

As you can see, the simplistic advice often given about big water changes when a reading is present, is not so simplistic after all... But fishkeepers changing water which is similar temp and usually dechlorinated, are not going to do the fish any harm. ;)

Most "ammonia" test kits give you a colour that is affected by both ammonia and ammonium, it is ammonia ions that are the ones we need to protect our fish and critters from. The amount of these ions, rather than the safer ammonium is affected by how warm the water is and how alkaline the water is, higher on teh scale for either moves the balence towards the more dangerous ions.

So cold acidic water would be far safer for fish with a 0.25mg/l ammonia reading, rather than warm alkaline water, where the fish would be having a really hard time. There are tables out there on the internet that will show you the balance of ammonia and ammonium in different pH and temperature.

As you can see, the simplistic advice often given about big water changes when a reading is present, is not so simplistic after all... But fishkeepers changing water which is similar temp and usually dechlorinated, are not going to do the fish any harm. ;)

What would be an ideal temp for water then?

For the Platy, I would be looking at keeping it in the low 20s, in a tank with a resonable but not excessive current (~6-8x true turnover of water per hour). A relatively spacious tank would be my choice, at least a 3-footer, as Platties can get fiesty with each other and tankmates so the bigger tank (with plants/furniture) will give bullied fish a chance to escape and get some respite.

What behaviour is your isolated Platy showing?

Any physical damage or signs of ill health?

For the Platy, I would be looking at keeping it in the low 20s, in a tank with a resonable but not excessive current (~6-8x true turnover of water per hour). A relatively spacious tank would be my choice, at least a 3-footer, as Platties can get fiesty with each other and tankmates so the bigger tank (with plants/furniture) will give bullied fish a chance to escape and get some respite.

What behaviour is your isolated Platy showing?

Any physical damage or signs of ill health?

Its just laying there on the some big rocks I put in the middle of some plants that were also placed. I guess I could say she looks thin o_O. I tried feeding her like I said before but she didn't eat much. I took out the food so it doesn't get the water dirty.

68 F hmm, I'm currently at 72. I have some amano shrimp in there also. Would having it that low a temp affect the shrimp?

72F sounds fine, a fraction over 22C.

What are the water stats (ammonia; nitrite in particular) now?

Did she perk up when you did the big water change you were intending on 13th July (4 days ago)?

72F sounds fine, a fraction over 22C.

What are the water stats (ammonia; nitrite in particular) now?

Did she perk up when you did the big water change you were intending on 13th July (4 days ago)?

Yeah I did a small water change there and today I did a semi bigger one. Not sure if doing that was a good idea but I've had a hectic week x.x, had family come over from out of the country and I've been busy with work and making sure the family isn't to mad at me for not helping them take them to places.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back