Panda Garra much better algae eater then I had heard.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Stan510

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Ok,It's only been a week..I don't know if they are long lived or what bad quirk they have. But they just took me by surprise eating BBA and the black algae thats flat on leaves. They ate brown algae in the lower dimmer corners,and they took on Cladophora that made tussocks..down to a crew cut. They really cleaned things up I was just used to putting up with. I have had Ancistrus in that tank as one of the first fish ever in there and it ignored all those and hair algae too.
The only thing they wont touch is..blue green algae. I get spots of that right after using fertilizers and maybe a bit too much. It goes away as the nutrients are used up.
I mean the price drop to a reasonable $8 makes them a bargain now that you know what they can do. Plus,they are zero aggressive to other fish and my two just squabble and then go back to eating. No damage ever.

That's really cool that they turned out better than previously thought. Were you looking for an algae eater?

Two pandas in the 240. At first when I saw they were making a visual difference? I thought I should get two more..but the closing of the fish dept and the fact I didn't want to go store hopping in a mask. Turns out, them two are up to it. One is 2" the other about 1 and three quarter. Nice banding..as they get comfortable the cream color gets deeper. If they reach the 4" size,that would be perfect.
I wasn't really looking for an Algae eater because I thought if my Ancistrus would not touch those non green algae or hair algae,nothing would and I was wrong, they went right to it.
Its really something how they eliminate black algae on the plants. I mean like 100% off of C.balansae and Sword plants. Just went from speckled to green.
And so peaceful..never bother another fish ever. Get some!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back