Panda Garra are a total trip.

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

jaylach

Supporting Member
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
I have four juveniles and they are totally berserk! I have no previous experience with this fish but they seem too cool to be real. They also seem VERY human friendly as yesterday I was moving some plants around and one attached itself to my hand... I guess I tasted good.

I have said that my rope fish is like a puppy but these Pandas are more like humming birds. They just don't stop! It is 5:00 AM and a couple of these beasties are still totally active flitting all over the place even though the tank lights are off. They just don't stop.

Other than a rope fish these may be the coolest fish I've ever had the privilege to host.

These things are either totally cool or totally insane... I'm not totally sure yet but I think totally cool will win out.

I have four juveniles and they are totally berserk! I have no previous experience with this fish but they seem too cool to be real. They also seem VERY human friendly as yesterday I was moving some plants around and one attached itself to my hand... I guess I tasted good.

I have said that my rope fish is like a puppy but these Pandas are more like humming birds. They just don't stop! It is 5:00 AM and a couple of these beasties are still totally active flitting all over the place even though the tank lights are off. They just don't stop.

Other than a rope fish these may be the coolest fish I've ever had the privilege to host.

These things are either totally cool or totally insane... I'm not totally sure yet but I think totally cool will win out.
Ah that’s cool never kept them but always thought they look good!

Wills

The coloration almost reminds me of Clown Killifish. Nice fish :)

Have you got a pic?

At this time, no I do not but I'm fairly sure that I will if you mean a pic of one attaching to my hand.

If not the above, what picture do you want?
One on your hand would be good

I have 6 and they are not shy and very explorish and curious. I also have a wild caught whiptail that is extremely bold and unassuming of threat (i.e, when i'm working on the tank he just ignores me).

I REALLY want whatever drugs my Panda Garras are on! I think I mentioned before that they just don't stop moving and are like humming birds in water. Even if I wake up in the middle of the night they are still active. Can't really see well but I leave a bit of ambient light going all the time. Even after the tank light has been off for hours I can still see their white bellies bouncing around by the ambient light.

Don't get me wrong! I'm not worried about them nor am I complaining. I have just never had Panda Garras before and am awe struck. Rope Fish have always been my favorite with Plecos following as a close second. If not already done the Panda Garras have come VERY close to taking second place.

As an added bonus they will nibble on bba.

Last edited:
As an added bonus they will nipple on bba.
I should probably know but could you define 'bba'? I assume that you mean Black Brush/Beard Algae but would like to be sure. ;)

Another question if you don't mind as you seem to know Panda Garras and I've never made such friends before... Is it possible that my Pandas could be eating bladder snails? Over the last several days I've been scooping out snail shells that are floating on the surface. Some shells are whole and some are cracked up but most, if not all, seem empty. I wonder if the Pandas might not be 'sucking' the snails out of the shells. I can't see it being the rope fish as he would just eat whole. If this is actually happening you just have to love free food. ;)

Last question for now. Are Pandas a loach? While searching for if my Panda Garras will eat snails I saw several associated results to Panda Loach. Bottom line is that it seems that they will eat just about anything.

Last edited:
bba is black beard algae; panda garra are a member of the loach family; i am unaware of them eating snails and would have my doubts but anything is possible. Just because they are a loach does not mean it is a given they will or can eat snails.

I put 4 in the 100 gallon I take care of and they are just as happy and active and yes there was algae on the glass that they hadn't eaten. I had the receptionist feeding a bit of extra flake to be sure they settled in, and they did just fine.

They do eat algae. My plants had quite a bit of algae and are now clean. I also give protein pellets which they like. Think I might try some freeze dried Tubifex worms today.

Most reactions

Back