Panda Corys Overbreeding

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

ASA23

Reaction score
I'm still relatively new & getting the hang of things, and have a 10 gallon heavily planted freshwater tank since fall of 2021.
I started with 3 panda corys, but lost one for some reason. The remaining 2 are apparently a male & female, because now I have at least 15 panda fry at different growth stages & no sign of that slowing down.
I honestly would love a bigger tank to be able to keep them all, but that's just not possible at the moment. (The fry are so dang cute...)
I'm thinking my only real solution is to find a local store that might buy them. How big should they be & what's the best way for transport? Anything else to consider?
On a side note, my dwarf shrimp have also gone crazy breeding & I now have a colony of them (also with no signs of slowing down).

Suggestions are very much appreciated!

I have been searching for Cory contraception for years...not found it yet, so have to resort to "Do you REALLY have to keep splattering eggs everywhere?" and then hoping my BN's have a midnight egg munching session ;)

As for letting a local LFS take them, they can usually provide their own bags for transporting them from your home to their store, that is the easiest way to go about it. I used to have my youngsters collected by a local store and they would pick out the most viable ones, average size of around 1 to 1.5 inches.

Reduce the temperature to slow the breeding.

Corydoras need to be kept in groups so keeping the babies or half of them with the adults, will make the adults happier because they have company.

You can keep 6-8 Corydoras in the tank for a while.

If you want to sell the babies, wait until they are an inch or more long. They should be the same size as the ones you bought.

Last edited:
Reduce the temperature to slow the breeding.

Corydoras need to be kept in groups so keeping the babies of half of them with the adults, will make the adults happier because they have company.

You can keep 6-8 Corydoras in the tank for a while.

If you want to sell the babies, wait until they are an inch or more long. They should be the same size as the ones you bought.
Thank you!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back