Panda Corys are turning pale...

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

smellin_fishy

Reaction score
I have 7 cory's in my 55 gallon fw tank. I also have 2 dwarf gouramis and 10 neon tetras. The tank is currently being treated with kanaplex and metroplex for a tenacious case of fin rot in my gouramis and the beginnings of ich in my tetras. This morning I noticed that 2 of my panda corys were extremely pale and fairly lethargic. All the other corys are acting normal, playing, eating, etc. The water parameters are all looking good (0 nitrates, nitrites, and ammonia) with a pH of 7 and a water temp of 75F. Do you think they are not getting enough food? Or is the medication too strong for them? Should I place them in an isolated tank for a few days and see how they do? Any advice is appreciated as I just want to do right by these little guys!

Attachments

• Cory 1.jpg
    Cory 1.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 232
  • Cory 2.jpg
    Cory 2.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 96
There is something in the water, and it could be the medications affecting these two (the rest will likely follow) or a disease from somewhere.

First thing is to do a massive water change ASAP, using fresh tap water with a good conditioner, nothing else. As you have ich, raising the tank water temperature is needed, and you can use the largish water change to partially achieve this. Temperature should not be increased too suddenly, but you want it at 30C/86F or slightly above, and you can increase the temp of the fresh water a few degrees to get closer. Then adjust the heater to achieve the rest.

Ich is best treated with heat, for two weeks. No medications. Corydoras are highly sensitive to all such substances, and it can kill them depending. Pandas even though a cooler water cory will manage fine with the high temp for two weeks. Make sure there is good surface disturbance to bring oxygen into the warmer water. Do not add any other medications to the water. The heat may deal with both issues.

There is something in the water, and it could be the medications affecting these two (the rest will likely follow) or a disease from somewhere.

First thing is to do a massive water change ASAP, using fresh tap water with a good conditioner, nothing else. As you have ich, raising the tank water temperature is needed, and you can use the largish water change to partially achieve this. Temperature should not be increased too suddenly, but you want it at 30C/86F or slightly above, and you can increase the temp of the fresh water a few degrees to get closer. Then adjust the heater to achieve the rest.

Ich is best treated with heat, for two weeks. No medications. Corydoras are highly sensitive to all such substances, and it can kill them depending. Pandas even though a cooler water cory will manage fine with the high temp for two weeks. Make sure there is good surface disturbance to bring oxygen into the warmer water. Do not add any other medications to the water. The heat may deal with both issues.
I did a 50% water change and moved all the Cory's to a separate tank that I've been cycling in preparation for some new fish. How should I go about treating the fungus on my gourami without medication? It's white cotton growth on his body and has been persistent for the last few weeks. I have tried both API melafix as well as the kanaplex/metroplex combo, but it has only helped 1 of the gouramis get rid of the fungus. Thanks!

Last edited:
I did a 50% water change and moved all the Cory's to a separate tank that I've been cycling in preparation for some new fish. How should I go about treating the fungus on my gourami without medication? It's white cotton growth on his body and has been persistent for the last few weeks. I have tried both API melafix as well as the kanaplex/metroplex combo, but it has only helped 1 of the gouramis get rid of the fungus. Thanks!

Photos of the gouramis please? If you have ich, and have been adding chemicals to deal with it, the white may not be fungus but excess slime reacting to the chemicals.

Photos of the gouramis please? If you have ich, and have been adding chemicals to deal with it, the white may not be fungus but excess slime reacting to the chemicals.
Of course: he is very active so it's hard to get really clear pictures of it, but I tried to circle to areas where it's most prevalent. I also included one photo of his whole body so you can see the rest of him as well. Please excuse the poop, he doesn't have any manners He is acting totally normal, so hopefully it is just an excess of slime as you said!

Attachments

• 20200730_105916.jpg
    20200730_105916.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 93
  • 20200730_105933.jpg
    20200730_105933.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 89
  • 20200730_105503.jpg
    20200730_105503.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 90
Of course: he is very active so it's hard to get really clear pictures of it, but I tried to circle to areas where it's most prevalent. I also included one photo of his whole body so you can see the rest of him as well. Please excuse the poop, he doesn't have any manners He is acting totally normal, so hopefully it is just an excess of slime as you said!

I won't guess as to that, there are more experienced members to advise you.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back