FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Eardz

Reaction score
Hi all,

I found a few eggs from my panda Corydoras, I’ve never seen them breed and this is the first time I have seen eggs. Should I do anything special? I have just separated them within the tank for now.

I’d love to see them hatch and grow to be strong fry and eventually adult fish to join my school.

P.S. the egg on the far left looks more white, is it potentially damaged?

Thanks,

Liam.

Attachments

• 89F67C00-EF98-468A-9122-E083BCC40F8A.jpeg
    89F67C00-EF98-468A-9122-E083BCC40F8A.jpeg
    175.1 KB · Views: 74
The egg that looks more white could be getting glare off the camera flash or maybe there was a dry water drop on the glass that covered part of the egg.

Give them a few days and see what they look like. Normally they go white in 2 or 3 days if they are sterile.

If they get white fluffy bits on them, that is fungus and you can pluck the individual eggs out and remove them to reduce the chance of the other eggs getting fungus. Or if the eggs are in a separate hatching container, you can add a few drops of Methylene Blue. However, don't use Methylene Blue in a normal fish tank because it can wipe out the beneficial filter bacteria.

If it becomes cloudy and white you can remove it, for now it looks fine

All of the eggs look as though they're likely fertile to me, congrats! Crossing fingers for you that all goes well! Bear in mind that newly hatched cory fry are absolutely tiny, the size of insects, so really tiny food in needed. I use baby brine shrimp and live microworms heavily in the first weeks for freshly hatched cory fry.

I made a post very recently about my own preferred methods for raising my cory spawns, so linking that here in case any of it is useful for you. Feel free to ask any other questions you have though! :)

The egg that looks more white could be getting glare off the camera flash or maybe there was a dry water drop on the glass that covered part of the egg.

Give them a few days and see what they look like. Normally they go white in 2 or 3 days if they are sterile.

If they get white fluffy bits on them, that is fungus and you can pluck the individual eggs out and remove them to reduce the chance of the other eggs getting fungus. Or if the eggs are in a separate hatching container, you can add a few drops of Methylene Blue. However, don't use Methylene Blue in a normal fish tank because it can wipe out the beneficial filter bacteria.
Awe brilliant thanks for the info! I had seen the Methylene blue but the eggs are in a container in the main tank so it would get into the main water if I used it!

All of the eggs look as though they're likely fertile to me, congrats! Crossing fingers for you that all goes well! Bear in mind that newly hatched cory fry are absolutely tiny, the size of insects, so really tiny food in needed. I use baby brine shrimp and live microworms heavily in the first weeks for freshly hatched cory fry.

I made a post very recently about my own preferred methods for raising my cory spawns, so linking that here in case any of it is useful for you. Feel free to ask any other questions you have though! :)
Wow, this is great info. I’ll take a look at the link. I will need to buy some more food as at the moment I only have brine shrimp and blood worms!

Wow, this is great info. I’ll take a look at the link. I will need to buy some more food as at the moment I only have brine shrimp and blood worms!
Eeek! Yep, newly hatched cory fry definitely won't be able to manage those!

Do you know when the eggs were laid? They only take a few days before hatching, then the fry absorb their egg sac, apparently for the first 24 hours, but I usually start feeding earlier than that just in case some have absorbed it early or something. So you want to have some options for fry food ready for when they hatch!

I've used Hikari First Bites for cory fry before, so would be worth grabbing a packet of that if you can order it now/get it from a fish shop. Can get Ocean Nutrition baby brine shrimp in a jar too, I use this in the first weeks too, but it's expensive and doesn't keep fresh for that long. I've just used it so I don't have to maintain another live culture and to help build them up for that first couple of weeks until they're large enough to take Bug Bites, powered up.

Other first fry foods I have seen suggested but don't personally use include:

Boiled egg yolk, strained through a muslin cloth to make a cloud of tiny food particles.
Liquifry
Infusoria

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back