Panda Corey’s in a 10 gal

Apistogramma lover

Reaction score
Hey guys I’m newish to the hobby and I have recently set up a 10 gallon tank currently housing a paradise fish and a Apistogramma. I want to add some panda Corey’s just not sure how many. I heard they need to be in groups so what’s a good number? Thanks guys

You gotta listen to this guy. ^ He has “Panda Cory” in his name! :rofl:

I agree with @panda_cory. :)

Keep them in a group of at least 3

This is not sufficient. Cories are very social fish, and studies have shown five to be the minimum, but a few more will always improve their health. A 10g is not much space, but this species tends to remain fairly small, so 6-7 would be my suggestion for Corydoras panda in a 10g. They are also more active together than most any species I have kept (some couple dozen wild species to date) so having "buddies" is perhaps even more crucial for this cory. My seven are together more than any of my other cory species.

This is not sufficient. Cories are very social fish, and studies have shown five to be the minimum, but a few more will always improve their health. A 10g is not much space, but this species tends to remain fairly small, so 6-7 would be my suggestion for Corydoras panda in a 10g. They are also more active together than most any species I have kept (some couple dozen wild species to date) so having "buddies" is perhaps even more crucial for this cory. My seven are together more than any of my other cory species.
Actually cories are not required to be in schools of 6-7 they supposed to kept together in groups of at least 3

I have to agree with Byron on this one. I’m a firm believer that cories need to be kept in at least a group of 6.

Actually cories are not required to be in schools of 6-7 they supposed to kept together in groups of at least 3

I respond solely in the interest of educating and not simply arguing. This is not accurate. Every ichthyologist and biologist with knowledge of this genus will tell you they live in groups of hundreds (there are many videos of these fish in their habitats) and when evolution has provided this you can be certain there is a very good reason and need. Cories are highly social fish, they interact almost continually. When denied sufficient numbers they will be under stress, and this weakens their immune system and leads to various other problems that otherwise would never occur.

Every cory authority will give five as the absolute minimum number of cories in an aquarium, and that more will always result in better health and "happier" fish.

You cannot ignore science in this hobby. At least, not if you care for the health of the fish. They are living creatures that have needs and expectations with respect to their environment, and these must be provided. Paul Loiselle, a professional ichthyologist and authority on aquarium fish, is right on the mark in his comment cited in green in my signature block.

I am not arguing either but some people don’t have enough tank size to keep 6 cories although that is probably what is best I think 3-4 is good minimum for people who can’t keep 6-7 for whatever reason, thank you for your contribution to this topic.
not

I am not arguing either but some people don’t have enough tank size to keep 6 cories although that is probably what is best I think 3-4 is good minimum for people who can’t keep 6-7 for whatever reason, thank you for your contribution to this topic.

not

To be honest, you are in the wrong hobby if you seriously think an aquarist can maintain fish without proper regard for their needs. That is cruel and inhumane. If you don't have space to properly house a species, then you have absolutely no business acquiring that species. No responsible aquarist could ever disagree with this..

Byron so far in all of your arguments you have given zero sources to back up your argument, so that gives you no right for you to tell me I am in the wrong hobby, secondly the question we are answering is for a 10 gallon tank. 6 cories and whatever else he/she wants to keep would heavily overstock a 10 gallon, and third I am not saying keeping at least 6 cories is a bad idea, but they do not need to be kept in groups of 6 to survive. That is a preference of yours that I partially agree with. So if you don’t mind know your place and don’t belittle other members of this site, because they don’t share your views on fish keeping there will always be disagreements between fish keepers on what is best for a species of fish. So if you don’t mind I am going to keep my views and you can keep yours.

When any aquarist's personal opinion counters the scienctific facts they are in the wrong hobby if they refuse to accept what every knowledgeable ichthyologist, biologist and authority knows. You want names, fine. Dr. Neale Monks, Heiko Bleher, Matt Ford, Ian Fuller, and on and on. I listen to these people because they have the knowledge and I care about how I keep my fish. And whenever anyone posts inaccurate information I will counter it because this forum becomes useless as a place to learn if we allow opinions without peer review.

When any aquarist's personal opinion counters the scienctific facts they are in the wrong hobby if they refuse to accept what every knowledgeable ichthyologist, biologist and authority knows. You want names, fine. Dr. Neale Monks, Heiko Bleher, Matt Ford, Ian Fuller, and on and on. I listen to these people because they have the knowledge and I care about how I keep my fish. And whenever anyone posts inaccurate information I will counter it because this forum becomes useless as a place to learn if we allow opinions without peer review.
Byron I don’t intend to keep arguing with you but if you continue to argue with me I will. Corydoras school in the wild to protect themselves from bigger fish, if there are no bigger fish in the aquarium to threaten them they do not need to school in large numbers and the rule of 6 Corys as a minimum is bogus I looked up all of the names you listed and they are just random ichthyologists. From what I saw they wrote no articles proving you right. I agree with you that Corys kept in schools of six is best, but it is not mandatory. you say I am in the wrong hobby because of my opinions outway logic you have failed to show. You also think to highly of your opinions. I also do not need your approval to be in this hobby. This forum is for everyone to share their ideas on fish keeping not for you to mark everyone wrong because they don’t agree with you. so please let’s just agree to disagree. Have a good day.

I am responding to your continued inaccuracy because you keep calling me out. Your latest post suggests your knowledge of fish physiology is very limited, or you would realize that there is more to numbers than safety in the wild. This expectation that they will be in a group of their own species is programmed into their DNA. You can ignore it and risk the fish's health, or you can recognize and provide accordingly in order to have healthier fish.

As for the authorities I named, they will all tell you that you need a group of these fish in order for the fish to be settled and healthy. Not having this means the fish is under stress and this weakens the fish's immune system and beyond.

And I did not say six was mandatory, I said five is the minimum recommended by the authorities [there was a study done a few years back but I'd probably never find it now] but more will always result in healthier happier fish, however you want to define "happier." And this is not my opinion, it is scientific fact.

I am responding to your continued inaccuracy because you keep calling me out. Your latest post suggests your knowledge of fish physiology is very limited, or you would realize that there is more to numbers than safety in the wild. This expectation that they will be in a group of their own species is programmed into their DNA. You can ignore it and risk the fish's health, or you can recognize and provide accordingly in order to have healthier fish.

As for the authorities I named, they will all tell you that you need a group of these fish in order for the fish to be settled and healthy. Not having this means the fish is under stress and this weakens the fish's immune system and beyond.

And I did not say six was mandatory, I said five is the minimum recommended by the authorities [there was a study done a few years back but I'd probably never find it now] but more will always result in healthier happier fish, however you want to define "happier." And this is not my opinion, it is scientific fact.
Byron we just have different views on the recommended amount of corys and that is ok let’s just stop arguing. I get that you think your right but from what I have seen you just say that I am misinformed and then say I am a bad aquarist. If you could link me to that study then we could learn from this together. I am happy to hear you take very good care of your fish. Have a good day

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back