Paludarium

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Falconwithaboxon

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Has anyone ever done a Paludarium? I have a 120 gallon tank that I have not used yet and wanted to do something unique, I'm thinking either a Paludarium or a Coldwater Aquarium. I was going to to it with a cave so I have more water area without sacrificing a ton of land. Any tips would be helpful.

Never done one, but have been considering one! You beat me to making a thread lol! I saw a video where someone used waterfall foam to creat the the shape of the land, that is A cool idea

Never done one, but have been considering one! You beat me to making a thread lol! I saw a video where someone used waterfall foam to creat the the shape of the land, that is A cool idea
Yeah I was just thinking how I could keep a small tortoise without needing a new habitat for him. I never even heard of a Paludarium before today.

Has anyone ever done a Paludarium? I have a 120 gallon tank that I have not used yet and wanted to do something unique, I'm thinking either a Paludarium or a Coldwater Aquarium. I was going to to it with a cave so I have more water area without sacrificing a ton of land. Any tips would be helpful.
I've got a Wyoming Spring paludarium all planned out, but haven't done it yet. Blue insulation foam, painted with Drylok (get the original kind, without the fungicide) tinted with concrete pigment, would make a great land area...Mine is going to have desert plants, juniper roots, and sagebrush lizards in the land area, a natural-looking spring with native mosses and riparian plants running down the rocks, and a water area with plains killifish and stonerollers...or whatever else I can find. :)

I think that Michigan, with all its turtles and colorful native fish, could give you the materials for a GREAT paludarium, especially in a tank that big. Maybe a painted turtle, a school of pumpkinseed or longear sunfish, and a bunch of sculpins and orangethroat darters on the bottom. Fill it in with native plants above and below the water. If the turtle eats your fish, you can just chalk it up to nature taking its course and go catch some more!

You can put marsh plants in pots and put floaties on them to give a semi paludarium set up. You can use polystyrene foam as the floaty. Get a sheet of polystyrene foam that is about 2-4 inches thick and cut a hole in it for the pot to sit in. Cut the foam so it leaves a couple of inches of foam around the pot and it should float on the surface.

You can also have a square sheet of foam with holes in and leave it to float on one side of the tank.

---------------------
You can use glass to make walls inside the tank and fill them with gravel to put plants in.

You can use plastic containers with a hole/s in to make land. Cover the container in silicon and sprinkle gravel or sand over it. The holes can be big enough for fish to swim through and would be like a cave with plants on top.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back