Paludarium For Lizards

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

mattb22

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have decided to scrap the idea of having a terrapin in a paludarium due to the fact that I don't have the tank big enough.

I have decided to have a lizard or two, so today I went to my local pet supplier and enquired. One of the "experts" there told me that I would only be able to house anoles or skinks in a 24" tank, but none of these are lizards that can be handled.
Any of you guys know if thats true?

Aswell if i was to house some green anoles or skinks how many could I house and what equipment would I need?

Also I would like it to be a paludarium and there for it having a small rock pool would this be ok?

Many thanks

Mattb22 :rolleyes:

Anoles are definately not for handling. They are timid and fast and will die of stress quickly if you try to handle them regularly. Not sure about skinks really. I just have no knowledge of them as opposed to the info on Anolis. You could try something like a medium sized toad if it's a paludarium you want. Some of the true toads quite enjoy handling occasionally, but the best thing is to be very calm and cool so they don't panic. Some individuals that really enjoy handling will go to sleep in your arms, which is so cute!
All the best from Bill.

I'm assuming your tank is 10+ gallons.
The pet store keeper is wrong, I'm not the best on fish, but reptiles are my specialty. You could keep anoles, house geckos, longtail grass lizards, various small skinks, certain other geckos, etc. Crested geckos would be my choice, but they usually come at a high price. They are very fun to keep, just make sure your tank has some adequate dry land, or artificial wood sticking out here and there. Mist their tank once a day, feed, and enjoy. They also are easy to handle compared to most other lizards that would work in that tank. You could probably only keep one in the tank you have though. Rock pool is ok.

Skinks are also easy to handle, depending on what species you have.

Anolis can be handled, but only if your anoles have babies and you hand tame the babies.

Tons of other lizards, just look out for the ones you like.

Good luck :good:!

Go with a Green Iguana! those can be handled, actually they love to be handled. there very smart and make great pets. just instead of a tank use a bird cage. they work better for Iguanas in my experience beucase they can climb up the sides, also if its big enough maybe a plant or something could go in there. they love plants!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back