Pallandarium

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Rob189

Reaction score
Hey guys.

iā€™m planning on building my first ever freshwater tank (i have plenty marine experience - softies, lps, sps etc)

As it stands, i know nothing about freshwater - im hoping its similar to marines ito filtration techniques (some mechanical, and then maximize surface area for bacteria to take care of the rest)

iā€™m planning a rather unconventional tank : 2000L x 300w x200h <ā€” may even make it shallower
The tank is mainly for ochids (all of my structures are going to come out of the water onto with the orchids will grow.

however, i want the water section to fully planted with a shoal of neons maybe and then some odds and ends (nothing fancy).
For the filtration, im thinking of partitioning off a small section at the end of the tank (not sure what to put in there - maybe some filterfloss at the top, then carbon, and finally a return pump at the bottom. Return will run through the centre of the tank and pop at on the other end and direct flow back towards the filter section (if that makes sense))

if my assumptions are correct, i still need to find a way to maximize my surface area - would something like those clay balls work? If so, i can fill the inside of my rock structures with them and tap off some flow into each structure from the return.

any thoughts or links to threads would be appreciated

thanks

rob

I don't know enough to be able to offer suggestions, but it sounds a very exciting project!

Pleas post photos etc - I'm interested in the orchid aspect, too - I love orchids and have quite a few. I'd never thought of incorporating them into any sort of aquascape though - I'dlove to see how that works out.

You can use the same equipment on salt or freshwater tanks. You won't need a hydrometer, calcium reactor or protein skimmer for freshwater. Have lights with globes that have a 6500K rating.

I assume the tank dimensions are millimeters?
2meters long x 30cm wide and 20cm high?
I would make it higher so the fish feel more secure. Generally anything less than 12 inches is going to stress the fish. You lose some water height when you add gravel and the water won't be right to the surface of the tank. A tank that is 18 inches (450mm) high would be a better height for the fish. And if you went a bit wider (18inches wide) it would be a bit better.

You cycle a freshwater tank in the same way as a marine tank, basically add ammonia and let the filters develop beneficial bacteria. The ammonia, nitrite and nitrate test kits are basically the same. A normal freshwater pH test kit might be required or buy some Bromothymol Blue and use that to test the pH. You can see pH colour charts online or buy a basic pH test kit.

Wow, filtration built in, now that's fancy, I hope you plan to show your project when its done. I envision a tank where there's a built in bioball filter box on one side getting its intake water from the tank then pushing the out flow to the terrarium side for eventually return to the aquarium...golly doen't this sound like a wateshed.in nature. My project wasn't as ambitioous, I just divided a 55 gal, into a aquarium/bi level terrarium. The aquarium section is only 18 gals but it's rather shallow just 9.5 inches tall, wish I talked to ColinT before I did my divider oh well maybe I add some more height as next years CV SIP DIY project LOL....

Thanks for the input so far guys.

The tank itself needs to be rather shallow as its on a dividing wall, and I'm not allowed to obstruct the view too much.

yes, dimensions were in millimeters.

Heres my first palandarium, still going strong. Started it around 8months ago. Learnt a lot from it, but time to scale up a bit
4DD1FB92-6830-4F80-80EC-47E10BAE3BCD.jpeg

Thanks for the input so far guys.

The tank itself needs to be rather shallow as its on a dividing wall, and I'm not allowed to obstruct the view too much.

yes, dimensions were in millimeters.

Heres my first palandarium, still going strong. Started it around 8months ago. Learnt a lot from it, but time to scale up a bitView attachment 123356
That's really attractive; lovely phaleonopsis - I've never seen one that shade - and is that a shamrock in there? I should know the name of the plant with the heart-shaped leaf but I can't remember it. And I don't recognise the ferns. Altogether it looks good. However, I agree with Colin that it seems very shallow for most fish to feel comfortable - could you have a couple of frogs instead?

Thanks. Stumbled upon the phalaenopsis in the petrol station convenience store out of all places :lol:

indeed it is (or a clover as we call them). It wasnā€™t intentional, it just started growing and looked cool enough to keep.
Got about 4 different ferns hidden in there.
I would live frogs, but you cant really get them in SA unfortunately

Thanks. Stumbled upon the phalaenopsis in the petrol station convenience store out of all places :lol:

indeed it is (or a clover as we call them). It wasnā€™t intentional, it just started growing and looked cool enough to keep.
Got about 4 different ferns hidden in there.
I would live frogs, but you cant really get them in SA unfortunately
I don't know if your shamrock/clover has flowed yet, but it is a very attractive bloom when it does.

Hoe did you attach your orchid to that stump? Did you buy it like that, or is it fastened on with fishing line or similar?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back