pale lawnmower blenny

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Olive

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Since the outbreak and subsequent death of our first case of ICH, our lawnmower blenny has not been acting well. He seemed fine until about three days ago, a week and a half or so since we had the UV sterilizer going in full force to kill the ick. He still has an appetite, but is really pale. Nitrite is at 0, Nitrate is at 12.5 or so. Salinity is at 1.021-1.022. I know that it is a little low, but it continues to stay at that (cannot get it any higher!), and for now, the LFS says that it is okay for now and not to monkey with it too much as not to shock the fish.

What could be the reason behind him being so pale? He used to change colors depending on what he was sitting on, but now he is almost white. I am afraid we are going to lose him. Anyone have any advice? His diet is supplemented with kelp which he accepts and asks for every night, greedily.

I just did a water change, about 15% on Friday. Should I do another one? Wait?

Well, it sounds like he is stressed about something, it is good that he is still eating. I would think that keeping the lights down low might help. Does he have a good hiding place? Did anything happen in his usual spot? Is someone invading his spot, or did you move any live rock or anything?

RamJet said:
Well, it sounds like he is stressed about something, it is good that he is still eating. I would think that keeping the lights down low might help. Does he have a good hiding place? Did anything happen in his usual spot? Is someone invading his spot, or did you move any live rock or anything?
Ramjet, you are always there when I have a problem, thank you! :wub:

Haven't moved anything at all. He has his same little places he likes to hide, and when he wants his food, he will just sit on the kelp clip and stare at me. I thought he was stressed too, but I cannot for the life of me think of what it is.

The only thing that I can think of is that the other night, when I changed the water, I had a hard time with the salinity. I mixed water together on the last batch of water to throw in with the bucket and I had to put more salt in it to get the salinity up to where it is now. It was the same before I changed it, just trying to keep it at the same before and after, if I am making any sense. (it is late). Maybe the salt didn't disolve all the way? Could that be affecting him now? That is all I can come up with........................ :dunno: I am stumped.

How long have you had him, do you have many bristle worms in your tank? I have been told that it is possible to salt burn the gills, but he would have had to be right in the area that you put your new water in. I just lost my Sailfin Tang, he was very healthy, eatting well, then one day he looked stressed and by the next day he was dead. It was more than likely just his time or he got stung badly by a bristle worm. I looked him over well, but could not find any thing. If you have any stress coat, I think I might try it. (Check the label, but I think I remember it being safe for SW) Hope he feels better soon, and I am always happy to help when I can.

It was more than likely just his time or he got stung badly by a bristle worm.

Is that a common occurence for Bristle worms to sting fish, I have a 10 gallon nano reef with populated by several bristle worms. My Pseudochromis is in heaven, I have seen him get three but I know there is still a couple in there. I was wondering if it is harmful up to this point the worms have avoided all of my corals. Just wondering If I should do a fish swap and bring in another Psedochromis to bring the pain to the worms :flex: . I hope your lawnmower starts to feel better.

RamJet said:
How long have you had him, do you have many bristle worms in your tank? I have been told that it is possible to salt burn the gills, but he would have had to be right in the area that you put your new water in. I just lost my Sailfin Tang, he was very healthy, eatting well, then one day he looked stressed and by the next day he was dead. It was more than likely just his time or he got stung badly by a bristle worm. I looked him over well, but could not find any thing. If you have any stress coat, I think I might try it. (Check the label, but I think I remember it being safe for SW) Hope he feels better soon, and I am always happy to help when I can.
I have had him about three months. I am not sure if I have any bristleworms........although I have heard some really scary things about them! I haven't seen any, but I know that they are masters of disguise.
I just lost my male tomato clown today (was acting normal and eating yesterday!), so something is really wrong, what it is I am not sure. My lfs is really knowledgable........she is stumped. I brought the carcas in today and she said it looked normal. She is gonna replace him for free, but I am not sure that it was her fault, since they got sick several months after I got them. I think it is really nice of her to do that though.
I will definintly keep an eye out for the worms, put the stress coat in (it is safe, use it lots!) and keep the tank clean and fed. At this point I am afraid my hands are tied, not much I can do. No sense in medicating when I can't see anything wrong..........if you come up with any other ideas please let me know. Thanks for your help!

Olive,

The following is from a good FAQ on live rock hitchhikers:
An ugly, brown centipede looking worm just came crawling out of my rock/sand and it is heading towards a coral! What is it and how do I get rid of it?
This is probably your average, run of the mill "bristleworm". That's right a "bristleworm". All "bristleworms" are members of the Phylum Annelida, Class Polychaeta. Should you take it out? No way, most errant polychaetes (errant meaning that they move about freely searching for food) are beneficial scavengers and crucial members of the live sand community. Probably ninety-nine percent of the "bristleworms" are harmless and are reef-safe. These animals are active scavengers and predators, but most are strictly opportunistic. The predatory ones usually only consume other worms, detritus, bacteria, algae, micro-crustaceans and other things. This is a very positive and desirable activity. There are only a few notable exceptions to this rule that aquarists should be aware of, and even these exceptions are somewhat rare in aquaria. The primary exceptions are a few species of the Family Amphinomidae. One species in particular has become the stereotypical bad "bristleworm", the Caribbean Hermodice carunculata, but is rare in aquaria (probably due to the small amount of Caribbean rock used in our tanks) and it's diet is primarily gorgonians. More information by Rob on the problematic worms can be found at http://www.aquarium.net/0198/0198_2.shtml.

For more information on polychaete worms in general, visit the Bristleworm FAQ on the Reefkeepers FAQ at http://www.webring.org/cgi-bin/webring?rin...ng=reeffaq;list.

The FAQ can be found at http://www.reefs.org/hhfaq/

HTH, Eddie

Bristleworms kill fish? That is a new one! Don't believe it.

I'd get the salinity up ASAP ... like, ASAP! Did I mention now?!? That is most likely what is stressing the fish.

To the extent that the UV affects algae growth, your lawnmower may need special feeding. If you still have to clean the glass, then it's fine foodwise. But if you see that you don't have to clean the glass any more and don't see hair algae, you need to feed him algae discs. He could be starving.

But #1 reason is stress. This is a 48G? Do a 5G water change and add water that is about 1.030, and you should be fine.

Or, topoff with water at 1.030 if you want to take it slowly, but I'd just get the levels up, your fish need higher salinity.

Olive, how did you treat your ich? You didn't use a med with copper did you? Some of these if used at too high a level can have ill effects.

GL

I haven't read all the posts... sorry. Lots of words, little time.

I think your salinity thing might be broke if it isnt changing at ALL even when you try to change it....

fool around with a small bucket of water.
get it neer the mark. then add a ridiculous amount more. If the needle doesnt change... you have your answer. I am betting it is getting stuck and you probably have over salty water. well worth a check any how.

Adrinal good catch. Better to do that than keep chucking saltwater in!!!

Ty :)

I think I will get another for back up as well... the "good" ones are just too expensive, and the cheep ones are just a plastic swing. I think a seccond plastic one would be good... so if they are off I will order a third to find the bad one... thats 15 bucks instead of 100+

Just an update..........although I thought we had won the war on ich, I am afraid it is still rearing its ugly head :/ .............I am not experienced with marine ich and have found it to behave quite differently. This ich is harder to see, and affects the slime coat in a way I haven't seen before. Yesterday, my clown was covered in it, and today it is gone. Although I cannot see it, I am sure it is on the blenny. We are still winning the war, I feel anyway. He is coloring up a little more now, and eating seaweed every night. :nod: The salinity is fixed, and water parameters good. I think we just lost our weaker fish, while the ones with stronger immune systems fought hard and won. Yay for them! :clap:

I wish to thank all of you for your help and suggestions! :D It is so good to know that you all are here for me when I need you. I only hope I can help you as much as you have helped me someday! :nod:
Thanks!!! :wub:

Everyone looking good today too!

Got a new coralife light yesterday! It has two actinic and two daylight bulbs, so a total of four all together!!!! The coral is gonna explode now!!!!!! Happy happy happy............joy joy joy! :fun:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back