Pale Cory

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Jayne76

Reaction score
Hi, this is my first post Iā€™m looking for some help and advice on my suddenly pale Cory.

Last night it was fine, normal colour and behaviour. This morning heā€™s very pale. Iā€™d say itā€™s still acting fine... eating swimming normally but looks very pale.

When we got home last night we found a dead molly. We tested the water and found ammonia 0.2 and nitrites 0.5. We immediately done a 40% water change.

I havent had chance to check the water this morning because I had to leave for work.

Tank 70L
1 honey gourami
1 molly
5 harlequin rasbora
5 black cory
5 cherry shrimp

Heā€™s always had that small white mark behind his eye and a crooked tail. Any advice would be great. Thank you.
52296023-D84C-4607-A340-83ABA2E51E8C.jpeg

If you did a 40% water change with an elevated ammonia and nitrite reading I suggest you do further much larger water changes, perhaps in the region of 80%, to further reduce the ammonia and nitrite reading until they are at 0 ppm. These readings should always be 0 ppm.

Coryā€™s are very sensitive to toxins so it will be at risk of fin rot, pop-eye (bulging eyes) and inflamed gills if the ammonia/nitrite remains high and/or if it came into contact with the dead molly. If you see any of these symptoms with positive ammonia/nitrite stats, up the water changes, if you see the symptoms with a reading 0 for ammonia/nitrite, you should treat for a bacterial infection.

I would just like to add that the cory pictured does look of a normal colour though it could be my screen.

Combination of issues, the parameter spike would cause paleness as cories are sensitive to poor parameters, and will be even more pale in the morning right after lights on.

Above has good info, and next step would be to find why the molly died and see if it is something that needs to be addressed.

Thank you to both of you for replying.

when I got home last night he looked a lot darker. I tested and ammonia and nitrites were back to zero. I agree the picture isnā€™t the best but he was definitely paler than the night before.

A couple of things I forgot to mention are we had put a flow divertor on. The fish seemed to like this better but Iā€™m not sure if it reduced the oxygen so I have gone back to how it was. Also the temp on the tank had dipped a little. Maybe it was just a bit cool for him. None of the other fish were any different.

I did have a good look at the Molly and couldnā€™t see anything wrong with it at all.

Thanks again

Thank you to both of you for replying.

when I got home last night he looked a lot darker. I tested and ammonia and nitrites were back to zero. I agree the picture isnā€™t the best but he was definitely paler than the night before.

A couple of things I forgot to mention are we had put a flow divertor on. The fish seemed to like this better but Iā€™m not sure if it reduced the oxygen so I have gone back to how it was. Also the temp on the tank had dipped a little. Maybe it was just a bit cool for him. None of the other fish were any different.

I did have a good look at the Molly and couldnā€™t see anything wrong with it at all.

Thanks again

I think now the ammonia and nitrite are back to normal the fish will look more healthy and eat. Iā€™m glad we could help!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back