The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

lilhurleybunny

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Swimmin around in the Chesapeake Bay ;) in Marylan
Hey DIY pals!

I'm about to re-decorate my fish tank and I was looking along the lines of maybe painting some things on old clay flower pots to use as little caves for my cories. I know that there are some pretty funky :S chemicals in paints that can bleed into the water and hurt fish, so, I was wondering if anyone knew what to look for on the bottle and what not and if anyone knew any paint that could work in aquariums.

A good sealer would be much appreciated if shared also :nod: .

Thanks guys!

according to http://www.garf.org/ (click on how to pages, then click the second drop down[Aquarium Construction & Tips])
you need a Two-part epoxy paint for potable water tanks (NSF 61/USDA/ANSI/AWWA and FDA certified and approved)

You can use Epoxy paint (marine paint)....which is very expensive.

Or you can use Latex paint and coat it with the 2 part Epoxy Resin...which still isn't "cheap" but it's not as bad as the epoxy paint, and it comes in lot's more colors, and is alot easier to get.

Just be sure you get the epoxy resin coated on everything...2 coats is better then 1...just to be sure all the paint is covered.

It needs to be atleast 80 degrees before you start (warmer is evern better)...because if it's not it will take forever for the epoxy to dry. Around 70 is good to work with while applying...then place it in a dust free area, over 80 degrees, to dry.

Regardless of which one you use...you need to let it cure for 2 weeks before adding to your tank...to let all the toxic chemicals evaporate from it.

For small jobs THIS works extremely well, as a little goes a long way. But you'd need 2...for 2 cotas.

^^^ Also makes a good glue for bonding things that go inside your aquarium (like caves, plants, ect. Still needs that 2 week cure time though).

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back