Painted Turtle People - help me...

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

BMBLSAD

Reaction score
Hey all
Just found a little painted turtle stalled out in my backyard as he tried to make his way to the lake behind our house. Mama turtles make the trek up to our backyard every year to lay their eggs. I think most of the babies make it back down, but on occasion I find a dead baby here and there. Today, I found a live one, but not doing well at all.

I put him in a little spare nano tank I have with some rocks, added some cycled water, and put a light over him. He's starting to move around. I'd like to feed him something before attempting to set him free but know zero about turtles. I have blood worms, brine and betta pellets. Would any of those work?

It's already 5, the sun is going down, it's going to be 40ish tonight. I'd like to host him overnight and then give him the chance to get back to the lake while the sun is out tomorrow. But,gotta keep him going in the meantime. Any advice? Feel free to redirect to a more appropriate forum.

I don't know anything about feeding turtles but maybe someone else here can help. Post up a pic of the little guy..I'd like to see it.

Once you learn what to feed him, maybe keep him a few days to give him time to recuperate.

Last edited:
I agree with @Fishmanic , I have no experience with turtles, but I looked at the links, and they matched up with the research I did on how to take care of baby turtles. :)

Good luck! :)

Thanks everyone for the helpful replies. I had a little nano tank so put him in it with water, put a light overhead and gave him a log to climb out on. Then put some bloodworms in the water. He gobbled them up...well as much as a turtle can gobble anyway. This morning he was quite active and trying to get out, So I carried him down to the lake, set him in a protected area and wished him well. He was stinkin' cute. Hope he lives a long life.

Attachments

• turtle 1.jpg
    turtle 1.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 205
  • turtle 2.jpg
    turtle 2.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 166

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back