Painted Tetra

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

rhi

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Wow! I just found out about the stories behind painted tetra (I've had them for a year and a half). It's crazy, why would ppl do such a thing?

Sadly because they sell, and they're good enough at it to pass it off as natural if you don't know already.

Now you've got them, give them a good life and enjoy the personalities, and encourage people you know to not buy or stock them.

Im pretty sure my pink skirt tetra's are dyed! They been with me a while and wierd thing is they natural ones have passed away.

Pics would be good and whats the shocking thing about them
confused.gif

They are injected with a dye to make them look 'pretty'...

Sometimes they are dipped into a dye, but with some, such as the glass fish mentioned above, with neon strips, they are actually *injected* with this dye. Hence it is regarded as totally unethical.

It was actually seeing painted glassfish in a petshop over 20 years ago that made me want tropical fish (ambition finally achieved last summer!), but at the time I had no idea of the mistreatment of them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Painted_fish

Hi I have seen some white skirt tetras and was told they have the colour taken out of them , this is not right , just another way to make more money :(

View attachment 68572

Sorry haven't been on for a while.but this is what it looks like. Through the year that I has them. They had lost a lot of the paint that was inserted into them.

^^^ Yeah on wiki it did say they will lose their colour also about the convicts i saw them in that LFS which is hard to go to on Thursday and on the label they were called painted convicts

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back