painted parrots

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

hozb

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
i have 3 blood parrots which i love to death (two yellow and one a pinkish yellow- loosing colour) :wub: :wub: :wub:

one of the yellow ones colour has deepend since i got it (they were nearly transparent)

anyway i was thinking of getting more parrots but if there all painted i really dont want to they were advertised as parrot cichlids when i got them

are the ones i got painted and is there anyway of achieving 'natural' undyed ones i love them but cant bear the cruelty :crazy: :crazy:

When I got my un-dyed parrot, he was black/grey and yellow (sorry, no pics of that).

Now he is bright yellow:

cattle014.jpg

If I had to guess, I'd say your yellow one is not dyed. :thumbs:

Thanks the yellow one is just like the one in the pic at the minute

any ideas on the pink one :dunno:

death by dyeing sells un-dyes Jellybean parrots, barring that you could breed some of your own, cons and some cichlid thats not a hybrid but has parrot in the name as I recall

Opcn said:
death by dyeing sells un-dyes Jellybean parrots, barring that you could breed some of your own, cons and some cichlid thats not a hybrid but has parrot in the name as I recall
I've heard lots of theories about how to make a BP... The one I've heard the most is gold severum X pink convict, but i've also heard convict X midas/red devil... who knows :p

the most widely accepted opinions are that blood parrots are the cross of a gold severum and midas/red devil. jellybean parrots are the cross of a blood parrot and a pink convict. jellybeans were "created" because of the low fertility rates in blood parrot males. jellybean parrots are much more fertile. :)

i foudn this on the Death By Dyeing site.

Jellybean Parrotfish are a hybrid species between the Convict Cichlid and the Blood parrot (which is a hybrid of the Severum and Red Devil) that was developed specifically for being dyed. Having 50% Convict blood, they are tougher then regular parrots and can withstand dyeing at a younger age, which is why they were developed.

HTH

DD

Vip said:
i still dont see proof in the midas/sev deal i still say they are deformed midas/red devil cichlids.
imo, there definitely has to be more than one species involved. if "blood parrots" were a deformity from a red devil/midas breeding they woulnd't be able to be bred as readily as they are. I can see the severum in them because a blood parrot's body shape is much more oval than a red devil or midas. :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back