Painted Aquarium Backgrounds

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

rykitten

Fish Addict
Reaction score
My 80 gallon brackish sits right near a window and gets loads of sunlight which = loads and loads of algae! I have to scrape it every couple of days. I was thinking of painting the back and sides but I am unsure of how it will turn out.
tankwindow.jpg

Does anyone have the sides painted? I'd love to see some pics!

get some mollies, they do best in the brackish water, and are supposedly great at eating algea.

I have a suggestion for you. Use a tinted window film and attach that on the side facing the window. This will block out the sunlight sufficiently. The darker tint will only let 5% sunlight pass through. Best of all, if you ever move the tank away from the window, you can simply remove the window film. Alternately, you can apply the window tint on the window instead. Perhaps that will be a better solution because not only you will reduce the sunlight into the tank it will also reduce the amount of heat enter the room. This means that there will be less fluctuation of the room temperature. You fish you like that!

Hope this helps!

Nikki

NO PLECOS IN BRACKISH WATER, the do not tolarate salt well at all (expecially for extended periods of time).

That's a REALLY GOOD IDEA about the tinted plastic clings to go on the tank. I think you can buy it and cut it to fit, that would be perfect!!!!! :hyper: :hyper: :shifty:

I've got blue window tint on 2 tanks, it works good until you want to take pictures. It reflects light real good, flash or room light. I'm no photo freak, so it really doesn't bother me.

Tolak

I know someone that put black backing on the back, sides and bottom of their arowana tank.

really brings out there colours with T5 lighting.

I'll try and get a picture off him to post for you.

tanks at work are also painted on the sides.

Nikky - the windows are darkly tinted :blink: It's still letting in too much light though. Especially in the morning because the sun rises from the east.

Pictures would be great Paul! I'm curious to see if the painted sides look tacky. It's my office tank so it has to look somewhat decent.

rykitten said:
Nikky - the windows are darkly tinted :blink: It's still letting in too much light though. Especially in the morning because the sun rises from the east.

Pictures would be great Paul! I'm curious to see if the painted sides look tacky. It's my office tank so it has to look somewhat decent.
rykitten, In that case, how about using piece of aluminum foil stick to the side of the tank? It will reflect the light away without the mess of painting.

Nikki

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back