Pacific blue eyes (Pseudomugil signifer)

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Aussie_Bristle

Fish Herder
Tank of the Month 🏆
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
Hi all

I have read up on these little guys but want to know if anyone has had first hand experience with them before I look at getting any.
I have a beautiful community tank with all kinds of breeds, but all really peacefully and happy together. I have read the blue eye are very peaceful and great for a community tank but the males do get aggressive around spawning season towards the females. Will this also be the case towards my other fish if he states a threat of any kind? I don’t want to get these little guys and have my other fish getting uncomfortable (or should I... will give me another excuse to get another tank ;))

many advise would be great! thank you

What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?

What is the GH (general hardness), KH (carbonate hardness) and pH of your water supply?
This information can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).

What other fishes do you have in the tank?

--------------------------
As a general rule, all the blue-eye rainbowfish (Pseudomugil sp) are very peaceful and get along well in groups of 6 or more (preferably 10 or more), and they get along well with other fish. They normally come from water with a GH above 150ppm and a pH above 7.0 but captive bred specimens are fine in softer water with a lower pH.

Males have little territories and display to other males (including males from other species) and to the females. They do not injure or harm other fish and are in my opinion, very nice fish to have. I have had numerous varieties of Pseudomugil including 3 different strains of P. signifier (normal strain, Ross River and Harvey Creek varieties). The 2 latter varieties grew to about 2 inches long and the former was only about 1 inch long. All were peaceful.

One of my favorite tanks that I had contained about 20 P. signifers (Harvey Cr). The tank was 4 foot long x 14 inches wide x 18 inches high. It had natural brown gravel on the bottom, a few plants and some driftwood. Each male had his little territory and they use to show off all day every day. The females lay eggs in the substrate and a few weeks later the fry would be seen swimming just under the surface. I use to lightly gravel clean the substrate into a white bucket and let it settle, then scoop out the eggs and put them in a hatching tank.

More info can be found at the following link.
http://rainbowfish.angfaqld.org.au/Signifer.htm

Thank you Colin.I had just found a breeder and thought I’d ask the question as we know some will say anything for a purchase. But I might look at getting some when I get a new tank established tho

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back