Oxygenation?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

We are treating the top surface of the water as the barrier though..... when using an airstone, you are artificially creating new atmospheres, and creating barriers between those atmospheres and the water, which are turbulent in their own, creating agitation for each bubble, and therefor exchanging gas with liquid before ever reaching the top of the water column.

The rapids are areas where the rivers are often less deep, and therefor more % volume of water contact to air.

Also turbulence, which even moreso increases the agitation and breaks surface tension, resulting in a SUPER OXYGEN RICH environment.   Interesting about those plecos TTA, I wasn't aware they existed in such a defined area as 1 bend of 1 river, very cool!!!

those new atmospheres and barriers have also got air/water surfaces.
if gas exchange is a natural occurance between the surface is it the presence of the new atmosphere or the movement of the new atmosphere that causes the gas exchange?

no i was just kind off adding that the airstone creates an addition unnatural exchange, so it works on its own, as well as adding to an already occuring exchange that is happening at the surface of the water.

I have learned far more about C02 and water oxygenation in this single thread than I have from reading many other posts/threads and books etc, such an interesting thread and some fascinating facts and answers.

Thanks you Iona for posting such a thread and to the people who answered 
smile.png

TTA - that answer about Zebra Pleco coming from just one area of river in one river in Brazil, due to the oxygen rich area and basically trapped due to the rapids from one end and the much lower oxygenated parts of the river, such a fascinating subject and very very cool.  

Kudos to you for raising and breeding these Zebra Plecos 
wink.png

yeah it is an unnatural additon of exchange but so is surface aggitation due to certain positioning of a filter to cause surface aggitation. both will cause an increase in the already occuring exchange at the surface.

i've learned a few things myself and i had completely forgotten about top saturation, my wee gray matter has been in it's glory with intelectual input regarding a matter of intrest :)

IonaMcCluskey said:
yeah it is an unnatural additon of exchange but so is surface aggitation due to certain positioning of a filter to cause surface aggitation. both will cause an increase in the already occuring exchange at the surface.

i've learned a few things myself and i had completely forgotten about top saturation, my wee gray matter has been in it's glory with intelectual input regarding a matter of intrest
smile.png

Well the best filters are power filters and canister, they make the flow better compared to air powered filters

Most reactions

trending

Back