Overstocking

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Elisabeth

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi everyone
I know the inch to the gallon rule but I'm not too good at working out if (or more likely by how much) I've overstocked the tank. Its a triton 190. (about 50 US gallons).

4 red platys
4 golden barbs
5 emporer tetras
2 peral gouramis
2 kribs
2 hatchet fish
2 african butterfly fish
5 glass catfish
1 common plec
1 zebra plec
1 elephant nose
1 siamese fighter

I know the common plec will need a bigger tank eventually, at the moment he's about 5".
Am I ridiculously overstocked?

Hi Elisabeth,

Don't fret I think alot of other's have the same problem.

You are right on the plec. In order to keep that many fish in the tank you will need to really keep up on cleaning & water changes. I wish I could give you more help but I'm pretty new at this and would not want to give wrong info..Just wanted to let ya know someone will come along to help :thumbs:

That is a lot of fish for a 50 gal, but if you have good filtration, and keep it clean you should be Ok...what we have started to do is add underwater power filters (Hagen 802 for the 90 gal) to help keep the water clear. It gives us the extra filtration we need and creates a powerful current in the tank that some of the fish love to play in. :nod: :D

I do a 30% water change every week. So far I've had no problems (fingers crossed) I've been thinking of adding an undergravel filter but I wasn't sure if I really needed to. And I don't know much about them. Are they suitable for Juwel tanks?

Boy, I wish I had a fish-inch calculator! (I wish there was such a thing :lol: )

4 red platys x 1.5 = 6"
4 golden barbs x 4 = 16"
5 emporer tetras x 2.5 = 12.5"
2 peral gouramis x 4.5 = 9"
2 kribs (breeding pair?) 4" male + 3" female =7"
2 hatchet fish (variety?) x 1 - 2" = 2" - 4"
2 african butterfly fish x 4 = 8"
5 glass catfish x 4 = 20"
1 common plec = 12"
1 zebra plec = 3"
1 elephant nose = what kind? 4 - 10" range
1 siamese fighter = 3"

Total = 102.5 - 110.5, depending on the variety of hatchetfish and elephant nose you have.

So, you have essentially double the recommended fish, and the rule of thumb goes for "slim bodied" fish, which many of yours most definitely ain't. :lol:

For the time being, you can beef up your filtration (I wouldn't go with undergravel though -- where in the world would you move all the fish to while you completely reconstructed their home? :fun: ) and you can be aggressive about vacuuming the gravel when you do your water changes, but before long I would be thinking about adding a tank or getting a bigger (like a 125) tank for the following reasons (besides too many fish):

If your kribs are a breeding pair, they are going to chase everyone else out of a fairly big area whenever they are spawning or raising their fry, which will be all the time. :X :D This is from another forum:

If you are intending to breed kribs, them it is better to have them by themselves as they will become quite aggressive and disrupt the harmony within the tank. You will have the Krib's and their fry at one end and all the other fish at the other. With a big pleco in the tank, he will polish off any eggs that get layed and your kribs will become frustrated and unsettled. If breeding, best to have them by themselves. Plus it ensures a better servival rate in the fry which means you have more to sell to the pet shop when that time comes around.

Your platies may also breed, but their fry will likely be live food for the others, since the parents won't protect them. Still, a few may survive and add to your population problem.

Incredibly, outside of those three issues and the obvious size problem of the pleco (and maybe the elepant nose), I can't come up with a lot of negatives. I haven't had any of these fish, but from what I've read they all sound relatively peaceful and diverse enough to co-exist, but I would say in a bigger tank.

Maybe you could get a 20 gal for the platies and kribs, find a new home for the plec when he gets a bit bigger, and keep all else as is with an upgrade in your filtration? I read on another forum that kribs and platies make for peaceful tankmates.

Here's a link for you:

Link to post about kribs and platies

Anyway, this is getting long, but I hope it has been some help to you. It sounds like you have some great fish! :nod:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back