Overstocked ¿?

Mc12

Reaction score
Hello everyone
I’m new w this amazing hobby, I wanted to know for your guy’s experience of my aquarium is overstock or of I can add more fishes.btw I have a 30 gal tank

2shark red tails
2 plecos
4 tetras
8 mollies
3 unknown

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    306.5 KB · Views: 79
Hi so some good news some bad news

You should only keep one red tail shark per tank as they fill fight relentlessly. Do you know what kind of plecs you have? If they are the common type they will quickly outgrow your tank. And last bit of bad news that white rock is called ocean rock and will be changing the ph of your water which is not good for those fish.

The good news is that the other fish are suitable for your tank size but they do have different water requirements - do you know if your tap water is hard or soft and do you have a hardness test kit?

Your tetras are black neon tetras and the Unknown’s look like x Ray tetras too btw

Wills

Whats your filtration, always better to over filter than under filter.

this may be a waste of space comment, but I want to say that you have great aesthetic eye! I like what you are doing with the two substrates, and that rock as a focal point is really cool! probably go with @Wills advice and switch it out to something that won't affect your pH (unless that's a desired effect depending on the water in your area), but I wanted to comment that for a first fish tank, this looks really neat! certainly better than my first fish tank did, about a million years ago :D

Hi so some good news some bad news

You should only keep one red tail shark per tank as they fill fight relentlessly. Do you know what kind of plecs you have? If they are the common type they will quickly outgrow your tank. And last bit of bad news that white rock is called ocean rock and will be changing the ph of your water which is not good for those fish.

The good news is that the other fish are suitable for your tank size but they do have different water requirements - do you know if your tap water is hard or soft and do you have a hardness test kit?

Your tetras are black neon tetras and the Unknown’s look like x Ray tetras too btw

Wills
Thank you so much
~ hard water
~ common Pleco & albino

this may be a waste of space comment, but I want to say that you have great aesthetic eye! I like what you are doing with the two substrates, and that rock as a focal point is really cool! probably go with @Wills advice and switch it out to something that won't affect your pH (unless that's a desired effect depending on the water in your area), but I wanted to comment that for a first fish tank, this looks really neat! certainly better than my first fish tank did, about a million years ago :D
Thank you so much for your comment , I’ll check it out
I want to give that B&W impression

Thank you so much
~ hard water
~ common Pleco & albino
Ok so you might need to think about rehoming one of the sharks and ideally the plecs as they will outgrow the tank and produce more waste than you can handle. Some of your fish will have limited lifespans in hard water but so long as you are keeping them well (good water, good maintanance etc) they will do better in your tank than if you return them and risk someone less dedicated getting them. The mollies are probably the most suited to your tank, the shark would prefer neutral but the tetras are the ones that will suffer more in the hard water.

When it comes to stocking your tank it is best to research your fish before you buy them and always question the advice you get in store as it is not always accurate. In hard water you are better of with things like Rainbow Fish, Live Bearers and Synodontis Catfish but there are exceptions.

Would you be able to check on your water companies website to find out just how hard your water is?

Wills

Ok so you might need to think about rehoming one of the sharks and ideally the plecs as they will outgrow the tank and produce more waste than you can handle. Some of your fish will have limited lifespans in hard water but so long as you are keeping them well (good water, good maintanance etc) they will do better in your tank than if you return them and risk someone less dedicated getting them. The mollies are probably the most suited to your tank, the shark would prefer neutral but the tetras are the ones that will suffer more in the hard water.

When it comes to stocking your tank it is best to research your fish before you buy them and always question the advice you get in store as it is not always accurate. In hard water you are better of with things like Rainbow Fish, Live Bearers and Synodontis Catfish but there are exceptions.

Would you be able to check on your water companies website to find out just how hard your water is?

Wills
I do have the master kit and I don’t know if that’s what you are asking but the test with the GH & KH is 120/120

so should I use chemicals to soften the water?
I tried and research about the hardness of water and I couldn’t really found a good advice on the hardness of water

No. You can soften the water naturally with peat or almond leaves. Drift wood and plants. All help to soften the water.

Haha. Just saw this thread. If I'm not mistaken the white rock is actually a plastic one from petsmart.
Did you get those rocks at petsmart @Mc12?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back